X-ROG
Level 15
Need suggestions for open source starting points:

1) OpenCL benchmark
2) OpenGL 3D benchmark
3) Storage/IO benchmark
4) Very heavy multitasking

Changes for v2.0

1) Upload function with website league table (split by chipset)
2) Readjust scoring to 1000's rather than 100's to generate more split between results. This isn't something we could have expected before getting lots of results in 🙂
35 REPLIES 35

xmanrigger
Level 12
I for one am more than happy with the present state of the benchmark. I really like it for testing CPU/memory clocks, and it does a very good job of it. I know I am Jonny Nobody, but if I had a say, I would exclude these:
1) OpenCL benchmark
2) OpenGL 3D benchmark
3) Storage/IO benchmark

Realbench as it is, is in my opinion one of the better stress tests out there to test cpu, mobo, and memory overclocks. There are already a crapload of GPU tests out there. Ditch i/o. Lots of those two. Bare bones stress test. As Realbench is. .....Jus sayin'.

-The upload function is very nice for a couple reasons I can see. One, save myself and others the pain of having to make/post a screenie. And two, it can validate a score. Have Realbench linked to user name somehow if possible.

- A basic system info summary (freqs, main voltages) on upload would be nice for validation as well.

- The scoring with 1000s is a very good idea also. Tightens things up. Increases competition.

- Very heavy multitasking. Why the hell not? LOL. I want a system buster.

Just my two cents. And just that.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

1) OpenCL benchmark

Currently there's no OpenCL benchmark out there at all. And OpenCL (GPU Computing) is something very useful to people that do image editing, video processing/encoding and 3d rendering considering it boosts the speed of those applications by A LOT.

2) OpenGL 3D benchmark

GPU performance should be part of the system wide score I believe. It affects games (we're Republic of Gamers after all heh) and people doing image/video/3d work (all the main workloads for high end hardware:)).

3) Storage/IO benchmark

Since no one seems interested in Storage I/O, perhaps we don't need it. The current multitasking test is VERY heavily dependent on file i/o since it does random reads in order to compress so it is a good indicator of file i/o performance. Also if we do implement such a benchmark it would have to be read-only anyhow or people afraid of SSD unnecessary writes would probably refust to run RealBench.
My last note on this is that I've been thinking about this test for a while now and I can not think of any "real world" scenario of testing file i/o so that it fits with RealBench's needs. Any reads or writes we make, or artificial iops load would be synthetic in nature. We'd just read and write specific data just for the purpose of the test.

- A basic system info summary (freqs, main voltages) on upload would be nice for validation as well.

While I like this idea, this is quite problematic to implement. Sure, I can get current frequency from the operating system API, but reading voltages is a WHOLE other story. It requires me to write a driver to access Super I/O chips. Considering how many different chips are there, and different implementations of sensors etc etc it would be a full time job just to maintain this. It would be like writing something like HWInfo/SpeedFan/AIDA from scratch and supporting it for all possible hardware configurations. This is not really feasable unless there's an open library+driver that already does that, which I could use to read stuff on a higher level and hardware support would be limited to what that library+driver supports. I will look for it but I doubt there's something that I can use available..
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

HiVizMan wrote:
I just want to say that this bench is one of the best stability checks I have yet to find. If any of my systems pass this bench then they do not crash.

Respect to you Nodens.

Exactly what he said ^^^^^^^^^^

Nodens wrote:
Currently there's no OpenCL benchmark out there at all. And OpenCL (GPU Computing) is something very useful to people that do image editing, video processing/encoding and 3d rendering considering it boosts the speed of those applications by A LOT.

GPU performance should be part of the system wide score I believe. It affects games (we're Republic of Gamers after all heh) and people doing image/video/3d work (all the main workloads for high end hardware:))..

I agree, GPU is part of any system. Thing is, as soon as you include this, then there would be others wanting a 3D test. Then this and that. Soon it becomes bloated.

This bench in function as is, is perfect for subsystem overclock stability testing. Bare bones. All that is needed.

Nodens wrote:
While I like this idea, this is quite problematic to implement. Sure, I can get current frequency from the operating system API, but reading voltages is a WHOLE other story. It requires me to write a driver to access Super I/O chips. Considering how many different chips are there, and different implementations of sensors etc etc it would be a full time job just to maintain this. It would be like writing something like HWInfo/SpeedFan/AIDA from scratch and supporting it for all possible hardware configurations. This is not really feasable unless there's an open library+driver that already does that, which I could use to read stuff on a higher level and hardware support would be limited to what that library+driver supports. I will look for it but I doubt there's something that I can use available..

I obviously have no coding knowledge. You are right, voltage sounds like a cluster to try and implement. Basic ifo would be nice though.

Thank you for your time, effort, and knowledge put into this. You da man.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

xmanrigger wrote:

I agree, GPU is part of any system. Thing is, as soon as you include this, then there would be others wanting a 3D test. Then this and that. Soon it becomes bloated.

Including this is essentially a 3D test. And surely we're not going to bloat it or make a test in the terms of 3DMark. A simple OpenGL test that represents Graphics performance. For sure we're not going to bloat it or add things randomly.

My proposal is that we add OpenGL test as part of the "System Score" because GPU is an integral component of the PC.

Then OpenCL and Heavy Multitasking can be added as separate solo tests (much like the Stress Test Mode is right now).
This way you have a representative system score that factors all major components and additional tests that may be useful to you but you're not forced to run in order to get a system score. Any future test we may decide to implement can be added as a separate test, like that.

With this design in mind you keep the main "System Score" test to the point and just provide additional tests for people who want/need them (of course we'll be adding only things that make sense..we won't add a Pi digit calculation test just cause someone suggested it:p it would be beyond the scope/concept of the application--All these decisions fall to ASUS of course).

So no bloating anywhere:) We're determined to keep the main System Score test to approximately the same duration. Have in mind, tests were tweaked several times during development for duration 😉
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:

I may have missed something here but, how about CLBenchmark?

http://clbenchmark.com/

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not sure how open source works.....open GL and CL are open I guess but the stuff written for/on them?......are any of these useful?

http://www.geeks3d.com/softwares/

I would like something that tests the capability of the GPU with regards to open GL/CL as pertains to it's use in CS6 etc.....like a real world uses and programs....

Storage I/O not interested either....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I would like something that tests the capability of the GPU with regards to open GL/CL as pertains to it's use in CS6 etc.....like a real world uses and programs..

X2

especially when I get my second 780 next week 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
Folks often try and do to much - thing software suites that try to be all things to all people. And they end up being not much use for anything.

For gamers there are two things you want to know - can my system play games at this frequency (both CPU and ram) and can my GPU play the games at this OC. Build a benchmark that tests those things and does so with some accuracy and you have a winner.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

B0UJI
Level 7
Error checking like OCCT for GPU tests would be a good idea too.