cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should i choose - 3770K or 4770K?

theDesignerguy
Level 7
hi i started this post to get some help to make a choice. Currently i am building a new pc. i wanted to get a good motherboard
and cant make a decision.. should i go for : A.) ASUS Maximus V Formula Socket and an Intel Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge or
B.) the new ASUS ROG Maximus VI Extreme and Intel Core i7-4770K ... option B.) will be a more cost full .. but considering that this will take up time ! ...
wold like to get feedback from you all :):D
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, theDesignerguy.

Both options are very good. Depends on you really. If you want the latest and greatest (Haswell), or you want the budget (Ivy Bridge) configuration.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Welcome theDesigherguy,

Like most AMD Users I would look to the AMD Platform if you want to save money. I personally disagree with most because the only use I see in an Intel is doing Heavy Computation in like a Physics Lab or Mapping out the Human Genome...otherwise with a good Video Card you won't notice the difference so I would go with the Crosshair V Formula Z and a nice shiny FX8350 and back it up with 8 gigs+ of DDR3 2100's and a pair of Radeon HD 7970's or if you need the Cuda Stuff for what ever go with the nVidia 680's but the difference in price will help the pocket a lot plus shop around for your best prices as well.

Now if your looking for a system specifically to do Graphics the look at the Macintosh due to the fact that most of your High end Graphics/Video Houses use them over anything Windows based.

Hopefully that was a little help, unless your intent on going with Intel, then I would go for the Maximus VI and an i7.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Welcome @theDesignerguy! I am moving this to the Build Advice section of the forum, where guys with more building experience tend to frequent, so that more people will see the thread and answer it. I'm not a builder, but from the performance standpoint, the Ivy is quite fast. I assume that you are planning on discrete graphics, so that is not an issue. Either is good.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zka17
Level 16
At this point I tend to agree with Daemon Cantor... you haven't specified what you will use your system for... - for most users the AMD system should be enough...

If, for some reason you want to go Intel way, I would go with the MVF+3770k... - first, it's less expensive... then, the MVIE is not a match too MVF, why you aren't looking at the MVIF instead?

I don't have yet any of the new series mobos or Haswell chips, but reading the reviews, I'm not convinced that the 4770k would be so much better... if you would want to upgrade, i definitely would say that it does not worth it... - but you want to build...

A MVF+3770k will be enough for whatever you want to use it today, that's sure... if you want more future proof (which is a very strange and risky term in the PC world) and you have the budget, then maybe you could try the new platform...

chrsplmr
Level 18
DC [DaemonCantor].. right out of the park bro .. [That means I agree.]

Zy .. hahhaa .. I know you always have the best of intentions and that you could
not of possibly meant to imply that DC or Chino ... were less than 'experienced'.
It was a good call .. but I am sorry I didn't want to leave that impression ..
or Zka either .. all 'top shelfers' .. [OP]theDesignerGuy. Welcome to ROG.c.

Correct, @chrsplmr, as you usually are. It was meant to be that others who are also experienced tend to lurk in the Build Advice forums, and a slightly more descriptive title helps everyone reading through the forums. I would recommend Intel, but I also do a lot of floating-point work, so there is that consideration.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

fbm211
Level 7
you could also save another 80-100 bucks going with the 3570k
Or a 4670k
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you are going to be extreme over clocking then go with the Extreme board. If not then the Hero or the Formula are the boards for you.

Go new technology not old technology - so 4770K
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

theDesignerguy
Level 7
nice.. thank you for the warm welcome.. yes i was kind of a hurry ..i needed to write my bachelors degree work . I want to use the system for Gaming and heavy 3d Work (rendering , editing ) and a lot of coding as well in unity 3d and web.... and my system is ruing sometimes 24h out of 24 so i have a H110 to be installed

My Current system is :

CPU: Type Dual Core Intel Core 2 Duo E8200, 2666 MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Motherboard Chipset: Intel Bearlake P35

System Memory: 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 OC from MSI

i will upgrade the memory to - 32Gb of corsair DDR3 1600 (or higher) CL9 Dominator Platinum and the video cards as well 770 in SLI ore something similar.

it will take time to build .. to gather money for the components 🙂 i am working on it..

thank you again ... and more feedback and is welcome.
i will try too post some photos of my current system to my profile and more data.