cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G55VW mSATA Install (Crucial m4 128GB mSATA) and CPU/GPU RE-PASTE TODAY!

MikeyV311
Level 8
Hello to all,
I figured I would let you guys in on what I am about to do with this beautiful laptop I just paid a grand for 3 weeks ago. Ever since I purchased it, I knew that at some point I would need to open it up, do thermal re-pasting, cleaning, and an install with a Micro PCI express SSD. My SSD has arrived in the mail, so now it is time to get down to bussiness!
I am going do my best to chronicle this entire process, while doing it solo. I plan to be methodical, clean, and successful! Currently I am posting this message on my laptop, but all of my future posts (concerning this topic) will be done from my tablet as I go through the process. (Kindle Fire... thanks mom!) With each step, I am using sketches, pictures, and labels etc. to make sure that everything comes apart well, and goes back the same.
To give you an idea of what I am working with for tools etc Here is a list:

Tools (not a complete list, these are some specialty tools needed for re-pasting etc.)

1. 11in x 17in charprint 920h tracing paper (for recording screw positions, etc)
2. Arctic Silver Thermal Solutions and paste (see below for details)
3. Magnetic tipped philips-head screwdriver, multiple other spatula and prying materials, (guitar picks are GREAT for this)
4. Coffee filters*** to assist with thermal surface purification. (I recommend you read this PDF that was included with the "Arc tiClean" Products.) http://tinyurl.com/kv8atm8

Hardware

1. ASUS G55VW-DS71 Model: G55V MB Ver. :G55VW ID:1A BIOS: G55VW.217 (cpu-z) DATE: 11/05/2012
Core i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHZ, Nvidia GeForce GTX660M Revision A2 2048MG GDDR5, 750GB WD Scorpio Black HDD, 12GB Hynix PC3-12800 (3 x 4GB, factory RAM), Hitachi-LG DVD Re-Writer Model GT51N. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. (Also factory, upgraded to Windows 8 Pro using the "upgrade" method.)

2. Crucial 128GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s mSATA SSD. (http://tinyurl.com/lnb2zqr)

3. Céramique™ 2 Non-Conductive Thermal Paste (http://www.arcticsilver.com/cmq2.html)

So this is basically to give you an idea of what I am working with. After I finish this post I will be shutting down my new baby and begin to tear her apart! Stay posted for pictures, updates, gripes, and lots of my rambling!

-Mike

:cool:
15 REPLIES 15

jiming
Level 7
Hello Mike,
How is your installation of your mSATA ssd? Do you do System migration from your HDD to your SSD? What is the best software for the migration?
I am not sure to go for SRT or cloning the whole OS into the ssd.

jiming wrote:
Hello Mike,
How is your installation of your mSATA ssd? Do you do System migration from your HDD to your SSD? What is the best software for the migration?
I am not sure to go for SRT or cloning the whole OS into the ssd.

I chose not to do any migration, or cloning at all. I used a Windows 8 x64 Pro "Upgrade" Edition to perform a clean install on my new mSATA drive. I used the stock DVD-Drive with a Burned DVD (my legit Win 8), making sure those were the only 2 drives in my system. (My plan is to use the stock 750GB Scorpio Black for storage.)
I have made my factory DVD backup set, and also tested them, to be sure that they would work. My laptop came with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium from the factory. I was on the fence about Windows 8 with this laptop, but nothing is better than first hand experience. It's Windows 8 ALL the way for me with this baby.
Perhaps the fact that I had Win7 factory installed instead of Win8 changed my installation experience. I have heard of people having problems bc of certificate management within the BIOS level. I have not experienced anything of the such. Hope I have helped!

MauricioBR
Level 7
Excited to see the whole process! Keep us posted!

😛
My adventure was a long one, a bit arduous and frustrating at times, but totally worth it. Every goal has been achieved! (mSATA installed with fresh copy of Win 8 Pro, Heat-Sinks cleaned and re-pasted, laptop interior meticulously cleaned)

After about 8-10 hours (I lost track) of tracing this laptop on paper every time I took a new step, while also taking about 160 Pictures, I finally finished. I believe I began around 10:30AM, and was finally pulled (literally) out of my room @ about 9:30PM. Girls are good like that. LOL

The entire process was not as daunting as I had previously thought. I've rebuilt so many laptops.. wasn't scared that I would fail, I just get nervous when performing surgery on new hardware. However, the fact is that this new hardware inspired me to be much more methodical, and organized than I usually was.

Stay tuned for more info. Can't believe I'm still awake! haha long day. SUCCESS!!

-M

I have more, this was the best I could do at the moment guys.. 😃

http://s749.photobucket.com/user/MikeyV311/slideshow/ASUS%20G55VW%20mSATA%20install%20and%20Re-Paste

damn. you have a very detailed collection of g55vw dis-assembled images there 🙂

your 8 to 10 hours were well spent. after this you should be able to do this in an hour 😄

congratulations.

rewben wrote:
damn. you have a very detailed collection of g55vw dis-assembled images there 🙂

your 8 to 10 hours were well spent. after this you should be able to do this in an hour 😄

congratulations.

Thanks! I am getting much better at time management. Sometimes I get hyperfocused and waste time. But this laptop was ordered on eBay "open-box"... I knew as soon as I checked it out visually (when it came in the mail), that somebody had, at some time, been inside the machine before. They just basically threw a couple "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers on the backplate, and over one of the chassis screws.
So, I suppose I should have added this to my list:

- During disassembly, check for anything abnormal/out of place.

When I lifted up the plastic that covers the speakers and LCD Hinges, I found a tiny screw stuck to the magnet of the "pitiful excuse for a subwoofer/center channel" speaker. A loose screw shaking around in my machines doesn't make me happy. Good thing it found a happy magnet to play with. There is also a slight "bulge" in my LCD framing located right near the PWR button, and a piece of Black Felt electrical tape peeking out the side of the LCD assembly. At this point, I am very grateful that my machine is working SO well, so I will let those small things pass for now! I took a chance when ordering this open-box, and I got lucky!

Stay tuned for more info as I find and organize more pictures!

NOTE: It Seems my thermal application process turned out well! All of my Core Temps are at or below were they were before re-pasting. (Ceramique 2 claims a cure time of approx 24 hours)

ANOTHER NOTE: If you are planning on doing the "re-pasting" procedure, please take care when removing the Cooling fans! The clips are extremely weak for some reason!!! During my upgrade, the pins actually came out of the 4 holes of the connector while I was taking it out. This is the first time I have EVER had that problem with a CPU Cooling fan. (more evidence of prior tampering??)

I GOT LUCKY! Experience is important! IF I did not take my time and fix that problem correctly, I could've cost myself a nice wad with a new HSF Assembly.

Thank you guys for your interest. I actually feel like I am useful here.

-Mike

http://youtu.be/nrxhOmzx_KI

I wish I had a second pair of hands with me to help video record the entire process. But at least people will be able to get a nice close look at what the logic board looks like "naked" 😃

MikeyV311 wrote:
Thanks! I am getting much better at time management. Sometimes I get hyperfocused and waste time. But this laptop was ordered on eBay "open-box"... I knew as soon as I checked it out visually (when it came in the mail), that somebody had, at some time, been inside the machine before. They just basically threw a couple "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers on the backplate, and over one of the chassis screws.
So, I suppose I should have added this to my list:

- During disassembly, check for anything abnormal/out of place.

When I lifted up the plastic that covers the speakers and LCD Hinges, I found a tiny screw stuck to the magnet of the "pitiful excuse for a subwoofer/center channel" speaker. A loose screw shaking around in my machines doesn't make me happy. Good thing it found a happy magnet to play with. There is also a slight "bulge" in my LCD framing located right near the PWR button, and a piece of Black Felt electrical tape peeking out the side of the LCD assembly. At this point, I am very grateful that my machine is working SO well, so I will let those small things pass for now! I took a chance when ordering this open-box, and I got lucky!

Stay tuned for more info as I find and organize more pictures!

NOTE: It Seems my thermal application process turned out well! All of my Core Temps are at or below were they were before re-pasting. (Ceramique 2 claims a cure time of approx 24 hours)

ANOTHER NOTE: If you are planning on doing the "re-pasting" procedure, please take care when removing the Cooling fans! The clips are extremely weak for some reason!!! During my upgrade, the pins actually came out of the 4 holes of the connector while I was taking it out. This is the first time I have EVER had that problem with a CPU Cooling fan. (more evidence of prior tampering??)

I GOT LUCKY! Experience is important! IF I did not take my time and fix that problem correctly, I could've cost myself a nice wad with a new HSF Assembly.

Thank you guys for your interest. I actually feel like I am useful here.

-Mike

now i understand why the ground wire of your laptop was secured at the wrong place. it's supposed to be secured at the power port.

as for the power cables to the cooling fans, normally it's better to pry the connectors and push it up at both sides gently.

.. and don't say that; everyone is useful here 🙂