Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyV311 View Post
    Thanks! I am getting much better at time management. Sometimes I get hyperfocused and waste time. But this laptop was ordered on eBay "open-box"... I knew as soon as I checked it out visually (when it came in the mail), that somebody had, at some time, been inside the machine before. They just basically threw a couple "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers on the backplate, and over one of the chassis screws.
    So, I suppose I should have added this to my list:

- During disassembly, check for anything abnormal/out of place.

When I lifted up the plastic that covers the speakers and LCD Hinges, I found a tiny screw stuck to the magnet of the "pitiful excuse for a subwoofer/center channel" speaker. A loose screw shaking around in my machines doesn't make me happy. Good thing it found a happy magnet to play with. There is also a slight "bulge" in my LCD framing located right near the PWR button, and a piece of Black Felt electrical tape peeking out the side of the LCD assembly. At this point, I am very grateful that my machine is working SO well, so I will let those small things pass for now! I took a chance when ordering this open-box, and I got lucky!

Stay tuned for more info as I find and organize more pictures!

NOTE: It Seems my thermal application process turned out well! All of my Core Temps are at or below were they were before re-pasting. (Ceramique 2 claims a cure time of approx 24 hours)

ANOTHER NOTE: If you are planning on doing the "re-pasting" procedure, please take care when removing the Cooling fans! The clips are extremely weak for some reason!!! During my upgrade, the pins actually came out of the 4 holes of the connector while I was taking it out. This is the first time I have EVER had that problem with a CPU Cooling fan. (more evidence of prior tampering??)

I GOT LUCKY! Experience is important! IF I did not take my time and fix that problem correctly, I could've cost myself a nice wad with a new HSF Assembly.

Thank you guys for your interest. I actually feel like I am useful here.

-Mike
    now i understand why the ground wire of your laptop was secured at the wrong place. it's supposed to be secured at the power port.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rbn_g55_gwire_location.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	21404

as for the power cables to the cooling fans, normally it's better to pry the connectors and push it up at both sides gently.

.. and don't say that; everyone is useful here

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

Quote Originally Posted by Djask View Post
    Installing the mSATA is a pain in the ass for the G46VW. You have to lift up the entire keyboard cover, and take out the motherboard, because the slot is on the underside of the laptop where there is no cover to take off. I'm guessing it was easier on the G55VW.
    unfortunately, it's the same for a g55. we need to take out everything and then flip the motherboard to access the msata slot.

the only difference is that we have a screw place holder to secure the msata ssd.

well, it will become easy when you did it the third time

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Djask View Post
    Installing the mSATA is a pain in the ass for the G46VW. You have to lift up the entire keyboard cover, and take out the motherboard, because the slot is on the underside of the laptop where there is no cover to take off. I'm guessing it was easier on the G55VW.
    I was forced to completely remove the entire logic board, bc the slot is on the underside also on the G55, so I feel your pain man!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    now i understand why the ground wire of your laptop was secured at the wrong place. it's supposed to be secured at the power port.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rbn_g55_gwire_location.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	21404

as for the power cables to the cooling fans, normally it's better to pry the connectors and push it up at both sides gently.

.. and don't say that; everyone is useful here
    I pried with every tool I had possible. (Also fine tweezers etc.) The wings which are located on the top of the connector (which you would use for the prying...) were VERY weak. The other port was NO problem. Perhaps the plastic got weakened from excess heat? I highly doubt that. Also the connector was slightly cracked at the base where the 4 pins are held into the holes.
    As far as the ground connector, I VERY glad you brought this to my attention! This is further evidence that this laptop had been tampered with before arriving in my life. I affixed that ground wire to the exact position it was in when I did the tear-down... I took my time and made many sketches detailing screw positions, and then physically taping the screw onto my drawing after removing it. =)
    Luckily, the ground is very easy to get at. Thank you so much!!

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Apexing's Avatar

very nice.
    now you just need to get your hands on a g75 and do the same thing xD

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyV311 View Post
    I pried with every tool I had possible. (Also fine tweezers etc.) The wings which are located on the top of the connector (which you would use for the prying...) were VERY weak. The other port was NO problem. Perhaps the plastic got weakened from excess heat? I highly doubt that. Also the connector was slightly cracked at the base where the 4 pins are held into the holes.
    As far as the ground connector, I VERY glad you brought this to my attention! This is further evidence that this laptop had been tampered with before arriving in my life. I affixed that ground wire to the exact position it was in when I did the tear-down... I took my time and made many sketches detailing screw positions, and then physically taping the screw onto my drawing after removing it. =)
    Luckily, the ground is very easy to get at. Thank you so much!!
    oh. i previously used my nails to do that, one side at a time, slowly and gently.

haha don't mention it. it's nice your place has a stable supply of power.

yeah i saw your drawings and screw taping lol! you're very patient! i just organized the screws in small groups, and put each group according to dis-assembly sequences from left to right. when i re-assembled the laptop i just put each group of screws back, from right to left (i am lazy lol!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2