cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! My slow PCIe is slow - Maximus VI GENE

UncleJoe
Level 7
Hi. I got a Maximus VI GENE yesterday. One of the first tests I did was run the GPU bandwidth test (from CUDA SDK), but I only get a disappointing ~3 GiB/s. This was the same speed I was getting with my previous PCIe 2.0 motherboard and GTX 680 in x8 mode.

I looked in the BIOS under the N.B. PCI express configuration and noticed it said x4 for 1 port and empty for another port. If it was really operating in x4, then that would explain the sluggishness (4 x 8 Gbit/s = 4 GB/s). I also tried setting the link speed from auto to gen3, but that didn't help.

I have the following plugged in:

1. GTX 680 in x16 slot
2. RevoDrive 1 in x4 slot
3. Intel 6200 Wifi/Bluetooth in MPCIe slot

Please help !
22 REPLIES 22

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, UncleJoe.

If you have GPU-Z, please run it and tell me what you see in the Bus Interface box. If you don't it, you can download it here.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I ran GPU-Z and it also reports PCI-E 3.0 x 16 @ x4 1.1 with a question mark next to it.

I tried the warmup test, but that didn't change the number of lanes to 16.

kkn
Level 14
are you shure its not maximus 5 geene since the 6 is not out yet? ( its not listed on the asus side. )

Oh yes, this is Maximus VI. It was ready to order in America on 6/10 and I bought it the first night.
Based on the lack of answers and other problems, maybe I bought to soon...

Anyways, I have notified ASUS of the problem.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please post the motherboard page of the CPUz utility.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Please post the motherboard page of the CPUz utility.

Here it is (moderator, forum image uploader isn't working)
http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/51/q4i.png

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cool thank you.

I see that your system is set up for x4. Would you please clear CMOS and boot into OS again. Do you have the same lane speed in all the PCie slots? Have you checked the others yet?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Menthol
Level 14
Do you have any cards in the other slots? Sorry you stated that already, check your manual, you may have to put your Revo drive in a different slot, it may be in a slot that shares lanes with the number 1 slot, and you may be limited with that model board am not sure.

"Would you please clear CMOS and boot into OS again"
I did "load optimized defaults" and it didn't help, and I only have one PCIe 3 device (GTX 680), and 2 PCIe 2 devices

I tried unplugging the RevoDrive, but the GTX 680 still remains in x4 mode.

it may be in a slot that shares lanes with the number 1 slot"

In my case, no because I plugged it into the x4 slot which is PCIe 2.0 only. And even if it shared, it should be split as x8 not x4