Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array ChaoticTheory's Avatar

Fine tuning 8350 overclock on Crosshair V Formula-Z

Real quick, I have done some overclocking before, but only the presets in programs. Have my new build up and running and want to se if I can push it more. Did a lot of reading and researching to find out enough to get a vague idea of how much I don't know lol. I've done some tweaking and getting some results, but would like to detail what I've done to make sure I am approaching it correctly and if there is something else I can do to get more out of it.

My setup:
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    AMD 8350 processor
    32GB Corsair Dominator-GT 1866mhz (4x8GB)
    Sapphire Vapor-X 6GB
    Custom liquid cooling setup

I started around 4100 MHz on stock settings. Tried the Extreme OC setting in Asus Suite which increased the core clock to 205, giving me a slight boost, but hardly worth mentioning. Decided to start tweaking it myself. Increased the core clock to 210 at just over stock memory speeds, ( trying to recall from memory, i apologize im not precise) but OCCT failed promptly. Increased DRAM voltage to 1.6 and passed a 1 hour OCCT. Upped the core clock to 215 and passed a 20 minute OCCT (doing short test to speed up the narrowing down process, will do longer test one I get closer to final). Tried going up past 215 and failed OCCT within 30 seconds. Dropped it back back down and started increasing multiplier, upping it to 21. Promptly failed. Tried numerous different adjustments and finally able to get a short stability by lowering the RAM speed to around 1600.

That is where I am currently at. I a. Away for the weekend, but welcome advice and suggestions. I haven't done anything with RAM timing, not real sure on timings vs speed.

ai approaching this right, or is there a better route to take?

Thank you all in advance!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Could you link me to the guides you read so I can see what your basis of knowledge is. I suggest the guides here on ROG AMD Crosshair sub forum as a good starting place.

In one of the guides I do show how to OC the system with a 8150 CPU I think it was, not the same as yours but the method of over-clocking is the same.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

First, the install tapatalk ad is annoying, it covers the top half of the screen and you can't get rid of it. </rant>

I looked around at a lot of sites though very few seemed to explain much that seemed relevant to the crosshair. Tried following the guide on here on overclocking to 4.8GHZ. I thought it was stable, so I upped it to 5, but it failed, and dropping it back down it failed. (I think I just didn't run Prime95 long enough the first time.) At that point I decided I wanted a better understanding of how it works, since I could probably get better results by understanding how it works rather than just following a guide. With that in mind, I've read through the crosshair guide, which explains what each setting is, but doesn't really say how to go about it. I found a 12 step wiki how article that have very generic how to overclock instructions that I kinda started with. Other than that it is just a conglomeration of tips I've read and guides I've seen. Not anything specific other than the guides I mentioned.

Hope that helps ill take a look at your guide as well.

LOL I hear you about the guides . http://rog.asus.com/81732012/crossha...locking-guide/

The thing is with AMD there are many different ways of getting to the same outcome.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status= Knowing what the bios setting are, or do is knowing how to use them. Take your time and work through what Raja wrote and if you want something expanded or explained in different terms just shout and we will help.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

hmm found it hard enough getting cpu stable with 16mb mem .. but 32 wow that is going to be tricky ..
    not so much nb/cpu side but just mem .. try increasing .05-.1 because that's where I hit my wall 215 ..
    AMD FX 8350 5.1ghz 221x23
    CROSSHAIR V bios 1703
    g-skill sniper 1600@1800
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

to see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ...

Thank you for the link, you have probably the best guide I have seen. Or maybe I am more familiar with the terms now so it makes more sense Anyway, ready for more questions?

It sounds like I was on the right track, increasing the core clock and stabilizing my RAM. Flearider, you think that having more RAM will make overclocking more difficult, do others agree? Looks like you ended up hitting 5.1GHz.

When upping the core clock, I left the CPU multiplier at auto, should I be dropping that to keep it around the default 4000mhz until I get my stable memory and NB voltages? I have plenty of capability to increase the voltage on NB and Memory, since they are both liquid cooled. Any top guidelines I might want to stay in to be safe? Do you typically up the speed until failure, then increase voltages to see if that fixes it, do you up them together until they fail and then dial em back, or do you max out the voltage and up the speed until you fail and then dial back the voltages?

Speed expectations is another big question, I have no idea what I should expect. Is a higher frequency always better, or is it worth it to get a higher core clock at the cost of frequency? For example, if I have a stable core clock at 215 with memory at 1935 and NB/HTT at 1075 (guessing speeds based on what I believe the default multipliers are) and increasing the core clock loses stability, am i better keeping the frequency the same and dropping the core speed back down, or is it better to drop the frequency to see if that stabilizes the higher core clock? If core speed is paramount, is it then quicker to up the core speed while reducing frequency to stay close to stock until core speed maxes out, then seeing if I can bump up frequencies?

On to memory timings! I am completely lost here. Maybe not completely, I know just enough to make me sound like an idiot probably I think I get the gist of what all the different timings mean, but not sure how that influences what I should set that at. Assuming rated latency (9/10/9/27 on my memory) at rated speed is ideal, should i be adjusting the latency so that the tCAS stays the same, using the CAS*2000/MemFreq formula, i.e. if I bump up the frequency from 1800 to 2000 (assuming core clock of 200 just to make it easy), do I need to increase the latency settings (first four settings) to 10/11/10/30 so the equation gives the same final value? And is it just the first four that I need to use that equation on, or all of them? I assumed a lower latency was always better, but a higher latency setting at a higher memory clock is the same as a lower latency at a lower clock rate, since it is based on a multiplication of the memory clock rate, correct?

That ought to keep you busy for a few minutes! I am sure I will come up with more questions, I am truely appreciating the help. I will be much more effective knowing how it works rather than using others settings or just punching numbers and hoping it works

Will address the other stuff in the morning, after midnight here.

Will just respond to the first question as I am dog tired. Yes certainly the more memory you have the harder it is going to be.

Oh and thanks for the kind words, I am not a fan of using jargon if simple English will do the job. You are correct it is better to learn how to do stuff by doing rather than being spoon fed.

Myk and a few other guys will be awake now, and I will ask them to jump in while I am sleeping.

So that's kind of a bummer. I can probably do quite well on just 16GB most of the time, (probably all the time lol, but wanted to max it out ) but I don't want 16gb just laying around, plus with my liquid cooling I have it would be a huge pain to take it out. Is it possible to turn off a couple slots, so only 16 runs even though all 32 is there, and have different profiles save maxing each setup out so I could switch between 16 and 32 as needed?

Rest well HiVizMan!

EDIT:
    Also, would I see more benefit from more overclock with less memory or less overclock with more memory?
    Last edited by ChaoticTheory; 06-16-2013 at 01:01 AM.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticTheory View Post
    Also, would I see more benefit from more overclock with less memory or less overclock with more memory?
    Well, that depends on what you're using your system for... for everyday use, you won't see any difference between let's say 1600MHz and 2400MHz... - if you're benchmarking, then is better to use less amount, but higher clocks... Also, pay attention to the timings of the memories...

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

If you're overclocking just for a CPU boost, your best bet is to keep your RAM installed, but dial it back to 1600 and keep all RAM timings at their stock levels for now. What you want to do, is build your CPU OC up first until you hit the wall of your 8350's capability and it's stable and then if you want, OC your RAM further until you cannot stay stable, back it down and keep it where you get it to

BTW, i'm no expert. i've done a small amount of OCing, got my 4170 from stock @ 4.2 to 5.036, but it's now back to stock 4.2 until I get my CHVF and 4170 onto my test bench when I build it

Good luck and keep us posted on how you go

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast