cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4E not posting after shutdown, an xperience -- but WHY?

estrulian
Level 7
Hi,

I've read many threads on this same issue. I thought I would create a new one nevertheless to describe what happened and what I did mostly because I want to know WHY??? while I explore what I want to do with this build.

I am if anything an amateur learning as I go along :cool:

The essentials,

build date: February 2013
CPU Intel i7 3820
Mobo Asus Rampage IV Extreme
RAM Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 4x4GB
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i
GPU Asus GTX 660Ti
PSU Corsair AX1200
Boot HDD Crucial M4 256GB SSD
OS Windows 8 Pro x64

Did not try OC features or mess with the BIOS. Everything stock except for updating drivers on GPU. Stays on 24/7.

Been using it since build. Light loads. No glitches except one where it didn't power up after two days of shutdown. I removed the plug to the PSU re-inserted and it switched it on. Didn't even think of it until now when the R4E just refused to POST.

June 4 - normal shutdown from OS as I was traveling for a few days. Switched off power from the mains as well.
June 8 - system would not POST.

Here is where the fun begins.

On standby ONLY the START, reset, BIOS led, GPU power leds remained lit when the PSU is turned on. Apart from that nothing, not even a fan. It just would not POST.

First I tried the RAM. Nothing. Removed all the sticks. Re-inserted. Nothing. Single stick. Nothing.

Then I started looking for fixes. Tried a myriad of different configurations with my RAM after stripping down to to just CPU and RAM. Tried one stick of RAM, one stick of RAM in different DIMM sockets, 2 sticks of RAM, checking the pins and re-seating the CPU, checking all connections, unplugging everything from PSU, switching BIOS chips, clearing CMOS.... removing battery.. leaving battery out for sometime.

Also, flashed BIOS1 with most recent update 4102 via USB. Had to convert .CAP. Was happy to see the BIOS led flash, atleast something was working!! But still refused to Power on.

Tried outside the case with only CPU and RAM in different configurations. Clearing CMOS, switching BIOS, Slow Mode Switch, Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Absolutely no response on the START button or reset Button. Only the BIOS switch button and GO but would respond. GO button when pressed for a few seconds lit up and stayed lit until PSU was powered off.

After a week of mucking about I put everything back in the case. Starred at it for sometime long trying to decide what to do next. What should I replace??? I didn't have immediate access to a CPU, PSU or DIMMS to swap and see if they worked. I know the H100i worked because i tried it by shorting the PSU (without the PSU being connected to the Board).

So I left it on standby. With one DIMM in C1 socket, furthest from CPU and closest to the START button. I thought maybe my R4E would turn on by itself after it figured it has a consistent source of power. It was kinda a last hope and the only thing I had not tried, i.e. leave it plugged in. The R4E is known to have a life of its own right?? So no harm.

At 0258hrs about 4 hours since I left it on standby and just as I was falling asleep, the R4E literally roared to life!! I had hooked up just the monitor after reassembly for one last push on the START button. I turned on the monitor and there I was starring at the ASUS BIOS UEFI!!!!!

I reset it to see if it would turn on and it did! I started powering it off and putting in 1 DIMM at a time and starting it up. It worked. Next the HDD OS and I booted right up to the OS. Switched BIOS and it still booted into the OS. Stable for the past 7hrs. Debug LEDS read AA.

Interesting OBSERVATION: System date and time was the date it was shutdown last and probably exact time it was shutdown. 4 June 2013, 1808

So now the big question WHY?? and If its turned off for a long period will it not power up again?? Could the BIOS setting to stay shutdown in the event of power failure be the cause. Does ASUS know why? So many people seem to have had this exact same problem.

After all the reading I've done I am inclined to think that it is not a hardware issue. Many people have had the boards tested and returned back to them.

Any ideas? Any suggestions on where I can find out more?
48 REPLIES 48

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hmm that is indeed a puzzle and yes you are not the only one to have had this happen. I too have had it happen. Am about to put the RIVE board on the test bench after two weeks of idle will see if I can recreate and then unpack why that is.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Domenick
Level 7
Are people really rma'ing boards and getting them sent back with nothing found? I really hope this is not the case.

I am one of the others who has done 'this dance' and I hardly think having to disconnect everything, leaving it off then plugging everything in and it magically working in the middle of the night without pressing the power button (as happened to me too) is not considered normal or functional. I'm dreading sending it back tomorrow only to get an all clear and get charged $55 service fee plus postage both ways and having to wait a couple of weeks. That would be a massive slap in the face.

Do you really think it's as you say 'not a hardware fault'? What would you call it? Users shouldn't have to go to these lengths just from shutting down their PC. We are all having similar issues. I've exhausted all options, where what you did worked for me too a week or so ago but now nothing seems to work even with a new psu and CMOS battery. Left for a few days powered off, now I give up. You don't get a chance to flash anything and soon I fear you will be in the same boat. 😞

Regardless if they find anything or not this is not normal for users to experience this and it's not something I think anyone should have to suffer with. I'm not trying to be difficult or rude, I just want a working PC and for $450-$490 top end motherboard, it should at bare minimum run 🙂 Anyways mine leaves tomorrow. I just hope they find something otherwise it's going to be 1/3 the price of getting a new motherboard to find no problems. Wish me luck and I hope you have more luck than I did 🙂

[/HR]
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K, Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme, BIOS 4102, PSU Corsair 860i, RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML16GX3M4X1600C8), Cooling Corsair H100, Case Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower, Graphics Asus 570 GTX SLI, SSD#1 Corsair Neutron-GTX 256GB SSD, SSD#2 Corsair GT 128GB SSD, Data HDDs Western Digital 3TB RED RAID 1.

estrulian
Level 7
HiVizMan - I do look forward to your findings. Is there a possibility that you could check if this board is leaking power? I have checked that all the standoffs are in place and none of the soldering on the standoffs have been damaged. A friend of mine laughed when I said it came back to life and said that it was a leak. I am wondering if perhaps the rear panel is somehow making contact with the case and shorting it out. Plan to do a thorough check today for any contact. But then it should have worked outside of the case when on a cardboard box... and it should not have back to life when it did. :confused:

Domenick - No offense taken. I am dreading that this the start of my ordeal with this board. I have barely had a chance to even get to know it!! I am totally with you and equally frustrated that a top end board would have a mind of its own. No I don't think it is normal that I should have to wait for it to come back to life. I owned a ROG Rampage II Extreme for about 4 years with no problems whatsoever. I sold that build off to upgrade. I wish now I had done more research before investing. Wish you luck and looking forward to an update. Thank you for your honesty. I will look into costs of returning mine while my system is still running since it does look like I will have to.

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is no likelyhood of a short in any of my systems. I do not use cases, all the motherboards are on test benches.

But will check the board out for any 'leakage' as your mate called it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

FireRx
Level 11
Yeah, I'm curious too, HiViMan. and will wait for you conclusions since I'll be building in the next 75 days. Pm me please if I miss your results.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

HiVizMan
Level 40
Board is on the test bench next to me as I type will keep you informed.

FireRX you can subscribe to threads and select email notification when the thread is updated. 🙂

estrulian
Level 7
So what's left to do?

Never turn off my PC? Or RMA the board? Any suggestions?

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK I have been able to duplicate the issue. OR at least I have found a similar occurance.

Here is what happens on my system on the test bench. System will work just fine for a couple of hours. Then on reset will not power up again. Leaving the system without power for a 30 minute period brings it back to life, but only until the next reset.

No lights on the start or stop buttons, nor anywhere else on my board.

I think I know why boards are being sent back. The long period of no power allows the board to be booted up in the test venue. Ergo they think the board is fine.

Not PSU - 5 different used.
Not CPU - 3 used.
Not Memory - many different kits used.
Not one BIOS - tested this with different BIOS chips and BIOS versions.

Will send my board on to the engineers in Taipai to see what is going on.

Wow interesting, 30 minutes. Last two times I unplugged everything and installed new PSU etc, and had it off for the day, mine still wouldn't boot. When I plugged the opwer in unlike yours the power and reset buttons lit up but nothing else worked. I am bracing myself for the call up saying my board is in perfect working order 😕

[/HR]
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K, Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme, BIOS 4102, PSU Corsair 860i, RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML16GX3M4X1600C8), Cooling Corsair H100, Case Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower, Graphics Asus 570 GTX SLI, SSD#1 Corsair Neutron-GTX 256GB SSD, SSD#2 Corsair GT 128GB SSD, Data HDDs Western Digital 3TB RED RAID 1.