cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 G75VW hiberfil.sys

boofsterb
Level 10
Saved 13 GB by turning this file off but after reading many articles they seem to suggest windows 8 requires it.
Your thoughts.
3 REPLIES 3

shuckeru
Level 7
my best guess from that file name is that file is responsible for hibernation. since you've disabled it can you hibernate?

I have instant on which it doesn't seem to affect. Don't really use hibernation.

CurrySonic
Level 7
Hiberfil.sys from what I read is responsible for 1. Hibernation 2. Windows 8 fast boot.

I noticed once I disabled (Use CMD as admin, command: "powercfg.exe -h off" NEVER DELETE!) I noticed Windows automatically does not display fast boot and hibernation in your power options. I'm assuming this is so you don't accidentally damage the system by hibernation with powercfg off.

I have noticed you can put your system in hibernation with hiberfil disabled by using the button you set as hibernation before the change. But I'm assuming this will lead to damage over the long run. Highly recommend re-assigning your hibernation button (usually default is your power button) to shut off to prevent accidental hibernation after disabling hiberfil.