Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

SATA and SSD hard drives versus Standard Hard Drives.

Hi,

Could someone give me a quick explanation of the benefits of SATA and SSD hard drives instead of the on-board hard drives? (E.g., 750 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive being the on-board and above mentioned being upgrade possibilities for a few hundred bucks extra).

1. Is it that the computer scans or reads them (SATA/SSD) faster because they are smaller in capacity?
    2. Is it that they are advanced in actuality and technologically operate faster than standard hard drives?
    3. If I'm aiming for at least 500GB what's the best combination of hard drives keeping speed in mind? (Bang for Buck.)
    4. Is the difference in computer speed noticeable with SATA/SSD in contrast to standard hard drives?
    5. What is the area of improvement with upgraded hard drives (E.g., Boot-speed or General-performance?)

Thanks!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

SATA is not a hard drive it is a interface.

SSD is a Solid State Drive and it is very much quicker than mechanical drives. SSD are often smaller in capacity than traditional mechanical drives.

Both are connected to the motherboard via SATA ports.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG AirWays Captain Array TenBlade's Avatar

Here´s a good read http://lifehacker.com/5932009/the-co...d+state-drives
    I got three SSDs in my rig, one fast one (I know, they´re all fast...) for OS, one older one, not quite as fast, for not so important programs and temporary storage (just until my external HDD arrives tuesday), and one super fast for my most demanding programs (flightsims). they take up so little space, and require no ventilation, I just slapped them in the back of the case with all the wiring, keep airflow in the case undisturbed.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array B0UJI's Avatar

Difference between SSD's and HDD's is night and day. Seriously can't go back to a HDD for a system disk at all. I have a 240GB in my system Corsair Force3 drive and it's fantastic, boot time is wicked quick and games have no load times.

New ROGer Array

SATA is the interface for SSD drives which are tons faster than traditional hard disks, then.
    Thanks a lot!

ROG Member Array

Kop

No, SATA is not an interface for SSD, although it happens to be the interface that SSD's use.

SATA is the new standard for HD interface. It is a smaller cable, and works well with lower draw drives. Also, the old interface PATA, was pretty much maxed out in terms of speed. Also, SATA cables can be much longer than the old cable, as well as having much lower power requirement. There are other advantages as well in larger systems.

I hope this wasn't pendantic, but I have had some heelp from this forum, and would like to return it if possible.

SSD, weel others have anseered that just fine

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Kop

No, SATA is not an interface for SSD, although it happens to be the interface that SSD's use.
    You might wanna read what you just said mate, you say SATA is not an interface for SSD, then you go ahead and say it happens to be the interface that SSD's use...which is it?

SATA is an Interface, it's the bus interface that connects Host Bus Adapters(SATA Ports) to Mass Storage Devices(HDD's & SSD's) and Optical Drives. And SATA is not new, it's been around for 10 years and has gone through 5 Generations already so far. SATA, SATA 2, SATA 3, 3.1(mSATA & NGFF) & 3.2(SATA Express & µ(m)SSD).

There are no "on board" HDD's, I think you're referring to HDD's that are already included with a laptop/ultrabook/desktop system. Like everyone else above has already stated, HDD's are slow and SSD's are pretty damn fast...the upcoming tech is light years ahead of what current hardware and software can handle at the moment lol

ROG Member Array

Myk

SATA is also used for platter drives.

I didn't want to imply that it was only used for SSD

Semantics, my man, semantics.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA a bit of searching will help
    Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
    PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
    Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
    Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
    Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
    ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
    Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
    OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

ROG Guru: White Belt Array BearCat's Avatar

Your not going to see a big difference in gaming, if that's what your into, with a ssd over a hdd. Especially if your running two hdd's in RAID.
    Intel 3930k, Asus Rampage iv Formula, Enermax 1250 EVO Galaxy, Corsair CML16GX3M4X1600C8 Low Profile 4 x 4GB, 150 gig VelociRaptor(32meg), Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 750 gig wd Caviar, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, LG Blu-ray burner,Corsair 600T case, Swiftech H220x Cooler, Bios 1305, Win7 Pro 64bit, Samsung S27A850DS Monitor 2560x1440

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast