cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW consistent BSOD problem

Jet_Ree
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I purchased G55VW about exactly a year ago and have been loving it very much.
Other than my optical drive faceplate bezel falling off and support department not willing to do RMA for just the bezel part, experience with ASUS has been rather very pleasant and satisfying.
Problem I have been experiencing since about a month ago is that I have been getting BSODs pretty consistently, almost on a daily basis.
I am running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits, 16GB RAM and plenty of empty HDD space.
I clean installed the week I received the laptop, so bloatwares causing the trouble is less likely. Although, I still consider myself a noob to the tech world, so please understand if I don't understand a few things.
For antivirus, I have been using Norton, and am planning on switching to Norton 360 since I got my hands on the disc at a low price.

To describe the situation when I get BSODs,
I would be just using my laptop like usual, rebooting it daily or so to make sure I have plenty of RAM available, and then suddenly everything would freeze up for about 5 seconds. After that period, my windows explorer goes away, leaving my screen just empty, and ctrl+alt+delete combination would just generate an error message. If I don't get a bluescreen by this point, I would be forced to press down on power key to turn off/ restart my laptop. Here are some of the most recent BSOD error message I got.
BSOD pictures

I am currently backing up all of my personal files to an external HDD, and thinking about re-installing windows again after formatting. Would this help with my problem, or is this a hardware problem?
Any help would be appreciated! I'll thank everyone in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Jet Ree.

When it comes to BSODs, the first thing I'd recommend is to test your RAM. It's one of the major culprits that causes BSODs. So please do some Memtest86+ runs on your RAM to verify it's integrity. If you've never played with this utility before, you can find a guide in my signature that will help you along the way.

Report back your findings. 😉

hi, try this:
Download and run this program
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
It will scan your hard drive looking for crash dump files and collecting informations about the crash!
Maybe that can help.

Jet_Ree
Level 7
Chino, I have run Memtest and there were no errors after 4 cycles. It ran for about 12 hours, so I just stopped it after 4 haha.
As far as crash dump files go, I will get right back to you greypigeon.

Jet_Ree
Level 7
==================================================
Dump File : 052213-58313-01.dmp
Crash Time : 5/22/2013 1:31:38 AM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc000021a
Parameter 1 : fffff8a0`253860d0
Parameter 2 : ffffffff`c0000006
Parameter 3 : 00000000`7723523b
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00b3e680
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75c00
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.18113 (win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75c00
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\052213-58313-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 291,624
Dump File Time : 5/22/2013 1:47:09 AM
==================================================

This is the only recent dump record I could find from the program. The other one was dated 6 months ago, so I disregarded it as bluescreen wasn't a big issue back then.
I know I have gotten far more BSODs than the crash dump record shows. I don't know why there are no more dump files present since 5/22.

EDIT: I looked more closely into the dump dated 10/22/2012 and turns out both of the crashes was caused by ntoskrnl.exe I have found others with the problem being solved after a fresh install. Should I proceed with my original plan to just wipe it clean?

About your error
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177(v=vs.85).aspx

Before re installing you can try to run SFC to check for corrupted system files
run CMD as administrator
type sfc /scannow

You can change settings for crashdump files:
Right click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System settings -> Startup and Recovery
Dumpfile---- Remove checkmark "overwrite an existing file"

Jet_Ree
Level 7
Thanks greypigeon! But I have been wanting to wipe things clean, so I think clean install worked out for me.

Theorize
Level 7
Hey my g55vw is crashing to BSOD when I go to log in, it can boot up but no log in. Also my bezel fell off to as well as cracked the right back corner. What did you do to get these issues fixed?

Theorize wrote:
Hey my g55vw is crashing to BSOD when I go to log in, it can boot up but no log in. Also my bezel fell off to as well as cracked the right back corner. What did you do to get these issues fixed?

for OS issues like BSOD, it's better to provide more information (error messages, error codes, etc.) so that our friends here can help figure out (BSOD on boot is too generic)

as for the physical cosmetic issues, well, if it's caused by yourself, then it's considered as customer-induced damage, and they can charge you for them if you need replacements.

Theorize
Level 7
I still have the bezel I just want them to put it back on. It fell off as I was taking the Asia put of my backpack. As for my boot problem.

I'm currently booting to a standalone Ubuntu OS, and have backed up my files to a network drive. I am trying to create a recovery USB but it is proving to be very tedious, considering I'm creating it for windows 7 home premium x64 from the Ubuntu OS. Either way. Whenever I crash;

0xc0000185

Other times it would give me "boot selection failed because required device inaccessible"