cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS CG8480 Warranty Service Mess

roballan
Level 7
Oh boy... I had my CG8480 in for warranty service. Had static through speakers when using graphically intense applications, couldn't stay connected to wireless network, and SSD was squeaking.

Got it back after a reported motherboard change. Stays online now, static is reduced (not gone,) SSD still squeaks and has me worried. Worse yet, however, is that now my System Level Up doesn't work and the software says it's "not supported." CPU fan runs on full tilt all the time now and system is reporting clock speeds of approx. 1.7GHz. On day 2 of waiting for a response from ASUS... maybe they're closed Sunday. Already spent $30 in gas taking it to and from warranty center and will have to take it back once they sort what I'm telling them.

I got this machine to replace an ASUS ROG notebook that had motherboard AND HDD failure after only 2.5 years. (This was after a power adapter change for it because the pin was brittle on that thing too...)

The components for these machines look good in the specs, but my experience has been absolutely awful. And I'm losing money every day that I can't use my machine. I only bought it because it was faster than a build and I needed a machine immediately. I wish I could get one of these that works because they spec out just awesome...

Sorry just really needed to vent. Having a miserable experience with this. Regret the purchase greatly.
12 REPLIES 12

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, roballan.

Please download and run CPU-Z. Click the Mainboard tab so that we can ID which motherboard your CG8480 is using. And we'll take it from there.

It says it's P8Z77-M PRO

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, roballan.

Please download and run CPU-Z. Click the Mainboard tab so that we can ID which motherboard your CG8480 is using. And we'll take it from there.

Chino
Level 15
1. Uninstall AI Suite. Then proceed to boot into Safe Mode and run the cleaner that can be found in my signature.
2. Boot into BIOS. Press F5 to load the optimized defaults. Save and restart.
3. You'll need a few utilities: CPU-Z, HWMonitor, and Prime95.

1. Both Windows and WinZip are reporting that the Cleaner file is invalid
2. Will we be putting the AI Suite back on here? I actually like the utility and I do like that the system lights go red so I don't forget I'm running it overclocked.

Thanks

Chino
Level 15
I'm not a fan of AI Suite because it causes a lot of problems. I would prefer you not having that on your computer to be honest. But if you wish, you can redownload the latest version for your motherboard and reinstall it. Your call. 😉

roballan
Level 7
Thanks- is there a different link to the cleaner file? I still need to follow your advice since the system doesn't work for this currently.

Chino
Level 15
Try this batch file: http://www.mediafire.com/?l18zv1sjrvvfeel. It does the same thing as the uninstaller. Same procedure as the uninstaller. Download. Unzip. Run as administrator.

roballan
Level 7
Thanks I will post with results tomorrow. Appreciate the time.

roballan
Level 7
Sorry could not post earlier as I couldn't seem to get onto the forum. Am not sure if it was my internet or if they were down.

ASUS support did finally get back to me with a link to do an RMA form again during that time. Since I'm still not sure if lighting leads are connected properly and am still thinking the SSD has an issue, I've decided to fill that out once more and see if I can take it in one last time. I hate to do this, but I'm not prepared to void the warranty on a 2 month old machine, and given the expense of SSDs, it does make sense to have it looked at again in case that needs replacing too. (Obviously the clock speed problem and fan speeds are also at issue here.)

Thanks for your time on this. I am going to follow this path if either they don't get back with a final RMA code or if the machine is returned to me with similar issues again.