cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hard drive and ssd help!

Sdgdav
Level 7
Hey guys I need some help real quick. I'm looking into buying a new hard drive and I'm also receiving an ssd as a gift. I'm planning on putting the OS as a clean install on the ssd (I believe its a 250 gb, it was in a MacBook pro) and have the hdd I will buy as storage for my steam library(yikes! 60 games and 60 gb's left!). I've done some research and I've come up with 3 possible hard drives(other suggestions are certainly welcome):
1. http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal-0J22423/dp/B00B4QESVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...
2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340
3. http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-7200RPM-Internal/dp/B0097LG9U8/ref=pd_sim_pc_1 (same as first but SATA 2?? Help?)

As you can see I want 1 terabyte and up, and solid performance at a decent price. Capacity is certainly the most important for me. I want to be able to install my entire steam library and some newer games coming out. I'm willing to pay more if there are some good suggestions out there.
My computer is the Asus G75VW-TS71. The only thing that's different is my father added a Hitachi hdd, I think it's 250 gb?

So in conclusion:
-I'm confused about the whole Sata 2 and 3 thing. Which one do I need?
-What is a solid state hybrid? Is it reliable? Fast? Is it good for my purposes(hardcore gaming and ample storage)?
-Are there any better suggestions for a 2.5" hdd 1 tb and up?
-What are the effects of putting the os on an ssd? Is it a really noticeable increase in speed?(os boots quite slowly at the moment)
-Is what I'm planning on doing even make sense? Lol

So yeah I'm pretty new at this and would appreciate any and all advice.
Thanks guys!
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just go for the drive with the most capacity, the difference in SATA ports will not impact your mechanical drive at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Really? Wow, that answer was a lot simpler than I expected. I appreciate the help. I guess I'll just go with the sata 3 travelstar 7k1000 if it doesn't make any difference. I just didn't want to buy a new hard drive and then come to find out it's incompatible with something or another in my machine.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Enjoy - and most PC stuff is not that complicated actually. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Mankz
Level 10
Yes it is! its all spooky dooky hokus pokus!

sometimes... 😛

Sdgdav
Level 7
Haha I know. This is just the first computer I bought with my own money and also the first I'm buying parts for so I really don't want to mess anything up 😮 figured it's safer to ask around first 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ask away my friend, stuff only seem complicated up until the point you know it then it is know and simple.