cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core problem @ FX-8150

Noregret
Level 7
Hello

I'm new to this forum, but I've read much and heard much about it, so I guess I would try ask for help here 🙂

Currently I have a setup, which consist of following:

AMD FX-8150
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z (latest bios)
Antec Kuhler 920
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinium 1866MHz
850W XFX Proseries.

Now, I tried to OC the CPU, which at first was no success. Apperenly it seems that my motherboard and cpu together refuses to overclock. I tried to follow the guides posted in here as well, but even using 1,5 vcore, granted me no success. Even Turbo Core won't funtion.

However, when I disabled four cores, I managed to get the following result:

http://valid.canardpc.com/2837095

With that clock the computer is rock stable and have a solid load temp of 55 degrees (celcius).

This seems quite odd, that it well willing to overclock when cores are disabled.

Soo, the question is kinda, what the hell is wrong with my cpu??
16 REPLIES 16

oldbrave
Level 9
For starters I'd back the buss speed down to 250Mhz or less, with these FX chips there's no performance gain to be had by running the buss speed that high and it just creates undo heat in the VRM chips.
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is a thread here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33524-Fine-tuning-8350-overclock-on-Crosshair-V-Formula-Z

Not the same CPU but the exact same methodology. He had similar problems in the beginning and we have worked through them with good success to date. Have a read through and if you like we can take it from there. The one guide I posted up is found midway through the thread.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Noregret
Level 7
Thanks for the replies. I tried to reset my bios and load optimized defaults. However, I have encountered a new problem. Before I had 4 cores disabled, and it worked fine. So I went into the bios and enabled the last 4 cores.
The problem is now that every program shows my computer as a quad-core now. So it seems that it cannot enable the last 4 cores.

Any idea to what possible could be wrong?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Clear CMOS and your system is back at factory defaults.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Noregret
Level 7
Tried that, still only run with 4 cores according to windows, cpu-z and amd overdrive. However, Asus TurboEVO utility shows 8 cores... Soo I'm a bit confused about what to do actually. Believe me, it is very stable only running on 4 cores.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Clear CMOS did not revert back to defaults? How odd.

I will have to pull out a system and test this and get back to you if I can duplicate.

lewybear
Level 7
My advice pull it all apart then clear the CMOS by removing the batt overnight then all back in, sometimes a board can be "trained" to it's parts pulling the cpu etc can revert it back to a clean slate then do come back to us either way!
Hope this helps.
Rampage v edition 10
I7-6950x @ 4.1ghz
Dominator platinum 32gb @ 3000mhz
NZXT X76 Kraken 360mm rad cooler
Corsair ax1600i psu full white cable set
Samsung EVO 970 1tb M.2 boot
Samsung EVO 850 1tbx4 SSD raid, storage
Titan xp jedi collectors edition
NZXT Phantom 820 full fan set
ROG frontbase
Samsung 55" 1000hz (140hz effective) 4k hdr tv as monitor
Windows 10 pro 64bit

Noregret
Level 7
It is very odd. I tried to force enable the cores in the bios, and still nothing happens. So this is quite confusing. Last night I was looking into the AMD Overdrive program, and I just tried that autoclock function it has. It began overclocking and suddenly it just shut down. Afterwards I booted into windows again, still with 8 cores working.

Then I disabled core 5-8 to try see how it would function with manual OC. And thats actually what had happened, untill now, where cores will not activate again.

Lewybear --> I guess I will try that later today 🙂 This was also my last solution, then hopefully it will respond to that.

lewybear
Level 7
Yep, and if you try that and after still the same try the cpu in a different board and a different cpu in that board if you have them, also on first boot after overnight, and the rebuild use only one memory stick in the A1 slot, furthest from socket.
Really hope this works out for you, sweet setup once it's running!
Rampage v edition 10
I7-6950x @ 4.1ghz
Dominator platinum 32gb @ 3000mhz
NZXT X76 Kraken 360mm rad cooler
Corsair ax1600i psu full white cable set
Samsung EVO 970 1tb M.2 boot
Samsung EVO 850 1tbx4 SSD raid, storage
Titan xp jedi collectors edition
NZXT Phantom 820 full fan set
ROG frontbase
Samsung 55" 1000hz (140hz effective) 4k hdr tv as monitor
Windows 10 pro 64bit