cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Extreme - XMP Crash

XD_40
Level 7
I currently have the M6E MB and have no problems until I select my memory's XMP profile setting. I have 2 X 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz DIMMS. At 1333MHz and even 1600MHz, I have had zero issues. But as soon as I enable their XMP, I get stability issues (ex. Freezes, Crashes, BSODs). I have even seen what seem to be video card related driver crashes and screen flickering. I have ran Memtest+, DIMMs are error free.

Just want to stress that all problems only occur while the XMP Profile is active. I have tried setting the timings, voltage, etc manually without success.

Has anyone else had issues as such? Anyone had success running the same DIMMs?

This is my first ASUS motherboard, so I am unfamiliar with them. Any information would be most helpful.
13 REPLIES 13

SUKARA
Level 10
Which model CPU are you using?

I am running a 4770K

SUKARA@ASUS wrote:
Which model CPU are you using?

I am running a 4770K

HiVizMan
Level 40
When you say you have run memtest86+ I assume you ran it at defaults and not at the rated speed of the memory.

Please list your bios version and all your system specs
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
When you say you have run memtest86+ I assume you ran it at defaults and not at the rated speed of the memory.

You are correct to assume that I ran the Memtest86+ at default settings (1333 MHz). It is brand new RAM.

I have BIOS Version 0503 that was released on 4/26/2013.
I am running the M6E with a 4770K, 2X8GB 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DIMMs, a Corsair AX850 PSU, and 2x GTX 680s. I am running Windows 7 64-bit OS. I spent the first day or two downloading all the patches and updates. I have up to date drivers.

HiVizMan wrote:

You are correct to assume that I ran the Memtest86+ at default settings (1333 MHz). It is brand new RAM.

I have BIOS Version 0503 that was released on 4/26/2013.
I am running the M6E with a 4770K, 2X8GB 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DIMMs, a Corsair AX850 PSU, and 2x GTX 680s. I am running Windows 7 64-bit OS. I spent the first day or two downloading all the patches and updates. I have up to date drivers.

Classic_GOD
Level 10
Is the ram kit new or from older build?

AFAIK older memory kits can have XMP profiles that are incompatible with Haswell . ASUS Haswell OC Guide also mentions this:

"Raja@ASUS" wrote:
High-speed enthusiast memory kits manufactured before the release of the Haswell platform may not contain the necessary/adequate voltage offset settings for the system to be completely stable. In such instances, manual adjustments of voltages and memory timings may be necessary.

Classic_GOD wrote:
Is the ram kit new or from older build?

AFAIK older memory kits can have XMP profiles that are incompatible with Haswell . ASUS Haswell OC Guide also mentions this:

I did read that. Which very well might apply here. For a brief time, I manually set the XMP timings and 1.65v for the DIMMs. But I didn't leave the settings set for long out of fear for missing something, due to still finding my way around the BIOS. I can try to set them manually again and test further.

Was Raja just saying to set the exact XMP settings manually? Or might I have to vary them slightly to get it to work? If I do need to make changes, what exactly might need to be altered.

By the way, my exact memory kit is CMD16GX3M2A2400C10. Its 2400MHz timings are 10-12-12-31 @ 1.65v

In all fairness, I believe this particular kit was not on ASUS's verified memory support list. Although, Corsair does have some Vengeance DIMMs (CMZ16GX3M2A2400C10) that have the same specs (Same timings, voltage, XMP 1.3, etc). So I hoped these Platinum's would work.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Those sticks will work.

I suggest you follow the guide in my sig and see if you have one stick that is a little weaker than the others.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.