cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Windows 7 to SSD via USB

jsurridge
Level 7
Hi,

I am building a pc for the first time. I have an extracted an iso of Windows 7 onto a USB stick, as I have no optical drive, and attempting to install it onto a SSD (Kingston SSDNow V+200 (240gb)). In Setup I select which device I want to install it to, I can see the SSD so it does detect it, but when I press next it comes up with "Setup could not create or detect a partition... please see log files".
I have also tested this with a HDD and get the same, so I do not think it is a fault with the drives.

I have formatted, and partitioned and done all sorts to try get it to work. BIOS is up to date and I have selected ACHI. I have also checked the installation files with a separate laptop and they work.

I am wondering if there is any special setting in BIOS or particular ports I need to use, or I need to connect more power cables to board/drives?

Any help would be great

Thanks

James
13 REPLIES 13

jsurridge
Level 7
Oh, and its a Maximus V Formula I am using

HiVizMan
Level 40
Use the Windows USB tool to create your OS boot USB. Download from Microsoft directly it is a legit tool.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

dctokyo2
Level 10
How to create a bootable USB Stick in Windows 7

Step 1 – Requirements
1. Windows 7 machine,
2. USB Stick you want to make bootable

Step 2 – Make the Stick bootable
3. Plug in the USB Stick you want to make bootable.
4. Go to: StartRun and type in “CMD” This will open the Command prompt.
5. Type in the following commands in the command prompt
6. Be careful you can easily destroy your Installation with a wrong command!
7. Type in: “diskpart”
8. Type in: “list disk” – You will see the Disk’s on your machine, even the USB Stick
9. Type in: “select disc K” (Remember the size of your USB Stick to make sure you
are working on the right one!)
10. Type in: “clean”
11. Type in: “create partition primary”
12. Type in: “select partition 1”
13. Type in: “active”
14. Type in: “format fs=ntfs quick”
15. Type in: “assign”
16. Type in: “ exit”
17. You have a bootable USB Stick now.

jsurridge
Level 7
Hi all,

I have made the USB stick bootable and even used Windows USB tool, I can get to Setup easily. The problem is during the screen where I select which drive on the new PC I want to install it to.
Still getting the error message "etup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"

HiVizMan
Level 40
James please list all your hardware that you are using for this build.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

jsurridge
Level 7
MoBo - Asus Maximus V Formula

CPU - Intel i7-3770K

RAM - KHX16C10B1R/8 - Kingston HyperX blu Red Series - KHX16C10B1R/8 - Memory - 8 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL10 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

SSD - Kingston 240GB SSDNow V+200 SATAIII

Also separately tried HDD - Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green 3.5" Internal Hard Drive SATA -600 64MB 6Gb/s

Chino
Level 15
1. Make sure the only things that are connected to your USB ports are your keyboard, mouse and the pendrive.
2. Disconnect from the internet if you have the ethernet cable connected,
3. Change the boot order so that your SSD is first and your USB pendrive is second. Save and restart.

Let me know if it works.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK what you do is remove all the other SATA stuff except your OS drive yes.

Make sure you OS drive is in the Intel 6G slot not an Asmedia SATA port.

Put your USB drive with your OS in the USB2 port.

Then in bios F5 for defaults and enter.

Then F10 for save and enter to reboot.

Now let your system install OS and follow the prompts.

You will need to remove the pen drive during the first restart.