cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX - Windows 8 Issue. Looking for driver updates

xXTheOneRavenXx
Level 7
Good evening all,

Maybe one of you can help me with my little issue. Prior to upgrading my laptop, I upgraded my router from a Linksys WRT54G to to a Linksys EA3500. No problems, so far. Then I decided to upgrade my ASUS G53SX from the standard Win7 x64 it comes with to Win8 Pro. Of course I followed the directions to have certain drivers uninstalled prior to the upgrade. But then afterward I began running into a connection issue. Although all drivers say they are the most recent version, I now experience periodic lose of connection. Once I run the troubleshooter, it says there was a problem connecting with the router and all seems fine once it resets my wireless network adapter (Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG). Is there a fix to this?

I've also experienced some of the following issues, some of which were expected and some not that I am looking for solutions for since the upgrade. (P.S - I've already searched manufacturer websites for solutions, so far turning up nil.)

Default ROG bootscreen changed to lame Win8 bootscreen (looking for a way to change it to a better one).
ASUS Live Update - not functioning
Bluetooth Adapter - not functioning
Rotation Desktop for G Series - not functioning
ASUS CinePlayer 5.8 (Made by Roxio) tends to periodically stop working.

Those not entirely familiar with the G53SX, here are some of the components:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
MAT****A DVD
Intel i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
500 GB Hard drive
Running at a 5.9 Win Experience rating
Will post anything else I find not working with Win8 regarding this laptop.
10 REPLIES 10

xXTheOneRavenXx
Level 7
No one has any solutions for the wireless adapter? Hard to believe for a laptop that's not that old. I bought my wife a ASUS this year with Win8 already installed, and guess what... not a problem. So not sure why there would be no issues when Win8 comes pre-installed vs self-installing and downloading what is "supposed" to be proper and functional drivers.

xXTheOneRavenXx
Level 7
I finally received answers from an ASUS tech and was surprised by what he told me. I explained all of my issues; including directing him to my post here. He told me that ASUS does NOT recommend using Windows 8. This response took me back for a second; then I reminded him that he just contradicted what the ASUS homepage clearly states, which is "ASUS recommends Windows 8." verbatim. His reply was "Well what we mean is we recommend using Windows 8 in a newly purchased machine and not our previous models, as you can expect to get errors by doing so. This was the absolute most ridiculous blatant excuse for a contradiction if I ever heard one. If this is the case ASUS, then don't simply state on your site that you recommend an OS that in fact you don't entirely support. At minimum elaborate for newly sold models only. Although even this does not make any sense as all of your new models come with Windows 8 pre-install. I chalk this one up as a completely false claim on the part of ASUS. I suggest removing this misleading statement from your site altogether.

xXTheOneRavenXx
Level 7
Wow, posted this over a month ago and still no support. Sounds like the help I receive on ROG is no different then what I received from ASUS tech support.

Don't think I've tried the Bluetooth yet.
You don't need Asus Live Update, uninstall that.
I don't use the Rotation Desktop either but not surprised that doesn't work.
I don't think I have Cineplayer. For burning discs? I have Power2Go which works great.
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

Peregrine
Level 9
I am not here that much, but I will try to help.

That's the exact laptop I have and no issues at all with my Win8 upgrade.
Asus does not have support the drivers on these for Windows 8 so I had to find them from the manufacturers.

Synaptic for the true Win8 integration (Side scrolling and side swiping)
http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

RealTek for the latest Audio driver:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Try maybe these drivers for the Wifi:
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=7

I can not vouch for the last link, I did not update the wifi.
Also make sure you have all your WIndows updates from MS. They may install compatible drivers that way for you.
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

in nutshell ur G53sx works fine with latest OS *Win 8 ? including wi-fi

Peregrine
Level 9
I updated the drivers because I wanted to, not because I needed to. Laptop worked perfectly after upgrade and I have a Linux partition on my laptop.

Peregrine
Level 9
Power2GO offers a free version: http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/product/power2go/enu/8/essential-static.jsp

xXTheOneRavenXx
Level 7
Thank you very much. Ya, my network adapter kept saying it was already up to date; even though my laptop kept dropping connection since the upgrade. Already have all the Microsoft downloaded updates, but thanks again.