cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to install Windows 7 on G750?

Xbcxbc
Level 7
I just got my G750 and so far I'm very happy with it. The only problem I have is Windows 8, which I really, really hate so far. (The underlying OS is ok, but the UI is not usable. Asus didn't make the OS so no hard feelings for that but I'm trying to see if I can put Windows 7 on this machine and if the current drivers would work.

Any info would be much appreciated - the laptop is great and I'd like to use it without the frustration of Windows 8.
39 REPLIES 39

Darknal
Level 7
if you don't like the "UI" I recommend Start is back which put back the start menu properly. It gives a 30 day free trial and is worth a shot. However, if it something else you dislike about Win 8 I don't think ASUS will release Win 7 drivers because none of G750s come with it.

Xbcxbc
Level 7
I only have Windows 8 for a few hours - I can see that the OS is not much different from Windows 7 but the UI makes it impossible to access / use the underlying features. So it's not just the lack of the Start menu that bothers me, I could deal with that by creating shortcuts for the various things I need. Hopefully someone from Asus can pitch in with positive news - I'm pretty sure I won't be the only user who'd like to do this (and it'd probably get more sales to Asus if they announced Windows 7 support for these machines).

Tomislav
Level 11
Well bro that's not quite true. I don't know what features you actually need but they are all here, and you can find perfectly fine and free start menus with all the features of the old win 7 start menu. just google a bit.
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

MauricioNO
Level 7
It's just a matter of getting used to W8. I have been using it for few months now and I don't feel like there is anything I could do on W7 that I can't do now. This is how it works, just force yourself to use it for some time and eventually you will get used to everything and might even enjoy one thing or two.

MauricioNO wrote:
It's just a matter of getting used to W8. I have been using it for few months now and I don't feel like there is anything I could do on W7 that I can't do now. This is how it works, just force yourself to use it for some time and eventually you will get used to everything and might even enjoy one thing or two.

exactly ! as a tech enthusiast you should be open minded. and you'll love the new task manager and copying.
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Tomislav wrote:
exactly ! as a tech enthusiast you should be open minded. and you'll love the new task manager and copying.

Sure, the new task manager is quite a bit better than before but it's... lacking, to say the least. It's really not that hard to be better than the old Task Manager.

As for copying: I haven't used Windows Explorer for copying since Windows 98. There are programs that are orders of magnitude more efficient at copying files (actually, they're better at pretty much anything that Windows Explorer is supposed to do).

There's nothing to love about a piece of software - it's a tool, just like a hammer or a screwdriver. If Microsoft released Microsoft Hammer(tm), it'd have a shiny plastic head and a bent handle. And it'd prevent you from holding a nail at the same time.

MauricioNO wrote:

Perhaps this is the BIG reason I hate 8. I don't want another forced UI change, months of looking up things I know how to do is just bad. I have better things to do with my time than learn new UI's that are less productive and more arcane. Unfortunately Microsoft owns gaming.

cosmicmango
Level 10
Xbcxbc wrote:
I just got my G750 and so far I'm very happy with it. The only problem I have is Windows 8, which I really, really hate so far. (The underlying OS is ok, but the UI is not usable. Asus didn't make the OS so no hard feelings for that but I'm trying to see if I can put Windows 7 on this machine and if the current drivers would work.

Any info would be much appreciated - the laptop is great and I'd like to use it without the frustration of Windows 8.

I would waiting until June 26th when Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 the link below details some of the changes.

http://www.askvg.com/exclusive-windows-8-1-features-list/
G752VY-DH72

cosmicmango wrote:
G750JH-DB71
Intel Core i7-4700HQ Processor 2.4GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
(2) 128GB SSD (RAID) - WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE (64-bit) - 1TB 5400RPM HDD (STORAGE)

Hi all,
I bought a new G750JX last month and i have the same problem of this post: don't like w8 too much.
I read in sign that cosmicmango have a JH with w7 so....what drivers did u used for it? 🙂
Thanks a lot in advance for reply,

Raz