Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

G750 Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!

Please note we fit 1.35V memory into our G750s. New Haswell CPUs require this and using 1.5V memory can cause problems along the lines of:

> Overheating
    > Damage to the CPU IMC (due to the increased potential difference)
    > Greater battery use than our stated values.

Also remember for every DIMM you add you increase the power consumption by 1-3W each, depending on what you buy.

Once I get ahold of a G750 to borrow for a few days I'll do an upgrade guide.

Much appreciated for the PSA Marshall! Good thing I waited out for installing new memory sticks.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

thanks a lot for this @MarshallR

ROG Member Array

Ah crap. I've already installed my ram inside... My Corsair Vengeance ram would not work with all 4 sticks. I guess this would would be why? I'm going to have to order replacements but would it be OK to run the system now? I guess so I ran it all day yesterday like this.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Marshall, thank you, a step-by-step guide would be very much appreciated. I'm comfortable putting in hardware (and I wouldn't feel uneasy at all doing it to someone else's laptop) but without documentation on how to take the machine apart I'm somewhat hesitant to start it. Good thing you mentioned the memory, I need to order the proper memory sticks.

ROG Member Array

I've thought about this more and more. I'm really disappointed with Asus for not putting in this detail in the manual. Technically you guys don't even detail anything about what kind of RAM to even use in the manual. Please update the manual to give some sort of direction for the user to find the correct type of RAM to use.

I've purchase 5 of these Asus ROG G series laptops. This model is my least favorite. I'm actually wishing I would have just stuck with my G75. Let's just hope my new RAM I order from Amazon works. It's 1.35v and it's 1600 so it should work...

/FingersCrossed

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yes, the lack of technical documentation is very frustrating. It doesn't need to be in the printed manual but at least a detailed PDF should be available for download - it really wouldn't cost Asus anything and it'd go a long way to make this product look professional. I had similar amateurish experiences with previous ROG G laptops - I've used 4 so far. Decent hardware, acceptable prices, soiled by these kind of really primitive mistakes. I'd rather just pay $50 more for the laptop if that covers the cost of putting together a decent tecnical documentation.

When I called VIP support about about how to get to the memory, the support guy kept bleeting "I'm sorry sir, we don't provide this kind of information...". The poor guy really pissed me off although it wasn't his personal fault. What's the point of making a high-end laptop (even targeted for modders) when getting information on how to extend it is near impossible?

ROG Member Array

Well I got my new RAM in and installed. It worked on the operation table when I tested it. I put the bottom lid on and it was done. I did have a weird moment though where when I moved the laptop from my operation table to the actually desk. The laptop would not boot. I flipped it over and popped the bottom lid off and reseated the bottom RAM. Once I did that it booted again. This makes me nervous because I will be traveling with this laptop. I hope this doesn't become a future issue... I'm going to post some disassemble pictures in my other thread.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyCannon View Post
    Ah crap. I've already installed my ram inside... My Corsair Vengeance ram would not work with all 4 sticks. I guess this would would be why? I'm going to have to order replacements but would it be OK to run the system now? I guess so I ran it all day yesterday like this.
    Yes it will work but under extensive stress (gaming/video encoding etc) you can get overheating depending on the DIMMs used. 1.5+V is generally not advised for long term use either, but a few weeks won't hurt.

On the product pages it does state DDR3L, but I have requested our G series marketing clarify that means 1.35V. In an ideal world memory companies should identify their SO-DIMM products as Haswell compatible as well. I'm asking about whether we have a public QVL or whether it's something we just informally issue to SI partners.

For the record though our notebooks are not targeted at modders sorry, the TA is for those who require a device that works out the box. We feel that if you want more extensive customizations you should look at a small desktop.
    Last edited by _; 06-24-2013 at 04:45 AM.

ROG Member Array

I cannot thank you enough Marshall for creating this thread. It saved me a lot of time and headache. However just letting you know that I hand contacted support and they suggested my issue was because of the speed of the RAM (1866). Without your post I could have ordered another set of RAM that would not have worked. I would have ordered the same Corsair Vengence RAM but at a speed of 1600. This would have been very frustrating. If there is anything you can do to help educate your support staff I would suggest it. Something like MEMO or something to where they will know to ask about the voltage of the RAM.

Thank you again for making this post and helping me get my RAM issues fixed. I'm now enjoying my G750 with a full 32gb of RAM. Woot!

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast