cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD GPUs max gen = PCIe 2.1 x 16?

KPRage
Level 10
:confused: I am planning to upgrade my GPU and, was doing some research when I stumbled upon something interesting in MAD's site:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/GraphicCardResult.aspx

They show that the max gen of their GPUs are PCIe 2.1 x16 while in Wiki, it shows PCIe 3.0 x16!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Southern_Islands_.28HD_7xxx...

Can some one please help sort the confusion?

Thanks,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂
10 REPLIES 10

twisted1
Level 12
It's PCI-E 3.0, pretty sure that goes for all 7xxx series desktop cards.

KPRage
Level 10
twisted1, that is what I had assumed and, thought of! However, still doesn't explain the 2.1 max selection available in AMD's own website!! I don't think they would overlook something like this would they? Oh and, funny thing is this appears only in the above link I have mentioned. Elsewhere its shows as 3.0!! So, my question was regarding the link I have posted in my above post.. 🙂
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

twisted1
Level 12
I dont know if they are referring to if you use it on an AMD board, since they dont have PCIE 3.0(except one Asus AMD board, PCIE 3.0 added by asus)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not sure what the point of this thread is, Gen 3 is totally irrelevant except for marketing purposes, no performance difference currently between Gen 2 or Gen 3. The Gen 2 bandwidth is not exceeded with all current VGA products. So does not make one iota of difference.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

KPRage
Level 10
Ha ha.. HiViz, the point of the thread was how AMD could point for two different gens for the same GPU. Even though it doesn't make a difference as such in terms of performance or, daily use, just would like to see a company as big as AMD to have proper info on their site. This does confuse others who are not aware of the facts! 🙂

Pre & Post Build Guide

Mail them and tell them.

I'm sure they have a perfectly good reason for it.

Or maybe they didn't bother to change it cuz it makes no real world difference, marketing have never beeen AMD's strong point 😛

DummyPLUG
Level 10
It is not the first time their site have wrong info or dead link, LOL

HiVizMan
Level 40
I hear you dude and sorry I sounded a bit abrupt. I just get the mutters about the rubbish that review sites and marketers talk to attract views or sales.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.