cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Devices Stuck/Not Detected/Recognized after plugging in. Restart Fixes it.

SPARTAN
Level 7
Help! I have had an extremely extremely annoying problem since I built my new machine about a year ago. I'm a composer and it is really frustrating to have to restart my computer and everything I have loaded into memory when I figure out my USB devices don't work correctly. Really takes away from my workflow.

My Usb Devices aren't re-detected if I unplug it, or if I plug in a device after my machine has already turned on. When I force reset my computer (Using hardware button), everything works like normal. But then I shut down my computer and the next time I turn it on, it happens again...

I believe it is every other restart it has issues, but I'm not sure. I think it may be random. I do know that restarting it fixes it temporarily.

Can anyone recommend me a solution? I have tried formatting windows 8 and re-installing, but the same issue comes up. I have installed only what's listed on asus's download page. I even tried updating my Intel chipset and asmedia usb drivers. Nothing.

Bios related?

Summary:
-Unplug Device, Computer thinks its still plugged in. Hardware manager shows okay. Plug it back in. Nothing Happens. Device doesn't work.
-OR plug in a device after computer has started, not recognized. Doesn't show up.
-Hard Restart of computer fixes it and everything works fine.
-Shutdown computer, same problem happens after computer boots up.

Hardware:
-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-i7 3770K Processor
-2x Intel SSD
-5x WD/Seagate Hard Drives
-32GB Ripjaws Z Memory
-2x Nvidia 670 GFX Cards
-1x RME Audio Interface
-Many USB Devices
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate could you tell me what BIOS version you are running?

And please list all your USB devices.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi. Sure. I'm running bios 3602. I stopped keeping up to date after then because updating, never fixed the issue I was having.

All my usb components are up to date as well. I do not believe it is a driver issue, as this seems to affect every single usb device on my computer, but I may be wrong.

USB Devices Connected:
Logitech G700 Mouse (Wireless module and usb cable both hooked up)
Logitech G710+ Keyboard
Line 6 Toneport UX2 Audio Interface
M-Audio Axiom 61 Pro USB Controller
Yamaha Portatone USB Controller
iLok USB Security Device
Steinberg USB eLicenser.
USB 4 Port Expansion Hub

Would also like to note that if I shut down my computer forcefully (hold the power button, or press reset button), everything works on the next boot. If I shutdown, it won't work on the next boot.

Rampage_Freak
Level 7
Please also see if you have the up to date drivers for your components. I highly recommend drivers genius to check out if you have the up to date drivers. Cheers mate.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello my friend.

Contrary to what my friend above said please do not use AIsuite to update your bios ever. Use only a FAT formatted usb drive and either the flashback method or EZFlash2 via the bios.

I can only suggest that you may consider doing a fresh install of your OS and have all the latest drivers ready for install. The USB issue is a real pain I must agree, but with the CPU controlling some of them it is not all about the motherboard any more.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Rampage_Freak
Level 7
hehehe, forgot to say that you use AI suite to update it if you want to change boot logo.

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL indeed Rampage_Freak my apologies I must have miss read the post.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would say you have a faulty motherboard, or a CPU that has USB issues. However as the USB3 is also affected I would go with the Motherboard.