cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HELP NEEDED] Maximus VI Gene Shutdown Squeal/Sound

TechGeek
Level 7
I built a new system with Maximus VI Gene recently and have a particularly annoying issue I need help with. On complete shutdown the system produces an annoying sound effect. This can obviously be only heard when speakers are connected and only happens on shutdown not restart. I tried to find a way to disable this option in BIOS but could not find any, there is nothing under ROG effects either. I like the board but this issue I am afraid unless fixed will cause a headache for many people. Any suggestions on fixing this from Tech Support through a new BIOS flash or some setting that I am yet to discover would be much appreciated. Thanks!
63 REPLIES 63

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please list all your hardware and can you ensure that you have your drivers installed from the DVD or from the web download pages.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yes, all drivers are installed. Running Windows 7 64-BIT, Device Manager looks clean and there are no errors in event logs. So this is not an issue at the OS level or with hardware but with MB or rather BIOS setting that is giving out that 'sound effect' on shutdown only AFTER OS unloads

Hardware
Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Gene for Socket 1150
CPU - Haswell Core i7 4770
Heatsink - Noctua NH-C12 SE14
Memory - 2 x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 (MemTest passed)
Hard Drive 1 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SATA-III (OS Installation)
Hard Drive 2 - Hitachi 2TB 7200 SATA-III (Storage Drive)
Hard Drive 3 - Seagate 4TB SATA-III (Storage Drive)
Hard Drive 2 - Seagate 4TB 7200 SATA-III (Storage Drive)
Blu-Ray - LG WH14NS40
Graphics - NVIDIA 2GB GTX 660 (GigaByte Version)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah I tend to agree with you that it is a hardware related issue.

This is going to sound off the wall but please do try it. Could you physically remove the Blu-Ray player (remove the sata) and see if your problem is resolved.

I had this exact same thing with a Pioneer Blu-Ray installed. No idea why to be honest but once it was removed the problem was gone.

Or if you wish, this is the more comprehensive option. Please remove your motherboard from the case and use the box it came in as the test bench.

With only the bare minimum of hardware does your board make the sounds?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Was pretty sure disconnecting any or all the peripherals was not going to fix it and so seems to be the case upon my double checking it in test bench mode 🙂 Even if you don't boot into OS and just shutdown from BIOS the sound effect is produced, so this is at the BIOS/Board level for sure. I am beginning to think that no one else is experiencing this issue here in which case, I may have to RMA this to newegg before it's too late.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip mate your board has some odd sound defect thing going on. RMA please.

Damn... Do I need to RMA too? I have the exact same issue. The sound is a squeal that I am familiar with from very old stereo equipment. It is an oscillation created as the amplifier capacitors discharge when power is removed. I'll also note there is a loud "thump" when powering the machine on, clearly the sound of amplifier capacitors charging. I'm not a electrical engineer, but I'm familiar with the basics of amplifier circuitry. Whatever mechanism you have put in place to "clamp" the output or preamp input on power up and down doesn't appear to be working and what we're hearing is the circuitry charging and discharging.

My issue appeared at first power on with only memory & cpu installed in the case. My setup is below:

Corsair Obsidian 350D Case
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
i7 4770K Processor (No OC yet.)
Zalman CNPS9900MAX Cooler
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 XMP (From QVL)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
2x Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB as RAID 0
2x Gigabyte Windforce GTX660OC in SLI
LG BDR

BIOS settings were XMP enabled, AHCI SATA Config and integrated Marvell disabled as I didn't need it. Intel PXIDE #5 was not connected, nor was the mini PCIe header.

Sure ya'll can't fix this with a BIOS update?

Shamino
hi there is nothing abnormal as i will explain this:

OP and Amps added to enhance audio
Codecs will always emit small wave when powered down
this is only magnified to audible levels due to OP+Amp
so dont worry./

Luridis
Level 7
This is not a slight "hiss." The sound is a loud squeal and is abnormal from any of my experiences, even with expensive Creative cards. My Maximus IV Gene Z does not make this noise, nor does my U47A laptop. My old SB Audigy cards did not either.

Luridis
Level 7
Here, I've made a video, you can hear the unusual sound yourself. It's 100% repeatable with nothing installed but the CPU and memory. Doesn't matter if I turn off via soft switch or the hard power off switch on the PSU, the sound happens every time.