cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to move OS to SSD

Xbcxbc
Level 7
I'm quite disappointed by the overall performance of my G750JW-DB71. The CPU is great but the 5400 RPM HDD is so slow that it makes the whole thing lag all the time. I couldn't wait for the model with the SSD included plus I already have an SSD so I bought this model.

Unfortunately, installing programs on the SSD doesn't help at all - since my user profile is on the HDD, all programs start up very slowly even though they mostly come from the SSD. Programs like SQL Server, Visual Studio and others also install much of their content on the OS drive which is the HDD in the case so they load very slowly and they tend to run slowly as well because they need to access files on the HDD frequently.

I'd like to move my OS over to the SSD and then kick this HDD to the curb but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. The DVD that comes with the laptop only contains drivers and I don't have a Win 8 install DVD.

I found this thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=

Is there any reason why the method using Macrium Reflect to clone the HDD over to the SSD wouldn't work (first post)? I always installed OS-s from full install disks in the past so I'm not sure what problems to look for.
10 REPLIES 10

rewben
Level 13
@ Xbcxbc, the cloning with MR should work if you haven't done anything to the stock hdd. just follow @DRAKON's guide and things should be fine.

on the other hand, i'm not sure if this could help but you could try the app from the g75vx called ASUS Backtracker (you can get it from asus' support/driver download page for g75vx). i know it's for a different model, but that's the tool that i think might be useful.

yes the best way is still doing a clean install. for that, you might need to get a legit install media elsewhere (maybe through technet/msdn subscription).

Xbcxbc
Level 7
@Newben, thanks for the reply. I already installed a bunch of stuff on the laptop but I'll just restore everything from the recovery partition. I don't have an install disk for Windows 8, unfortunately, and I don't feel much inclined to buy it either. If the clone works, I'll see how it is with the SSD & a new, faster HDD. I noticed that several drivers have Win7 in their names so I may even try installing Win 7 on here - I have a Pro DVD.

rewben
Level 13
i suggest you go for ssd for your os, apps, for games that you play most. it's a different user experience entirely.

w7 should run well on a g750; still, drivers' incompatibilities might be an issue. well, you can just take out the stock hdd, put in a ssd then try it out.

Xbcxbc
Level 7
Yes, that's the plan. I had that setup on the G74 I was using and it was working well. Thanks for the advice.

rewben
Level 13
ah.. you have past experience already haha! good luck!

imo just don't be hasty to do anything with the stock hdd first. it's kind of hard to get the asus recovery partition back to the usable state once you have messed with the drive (unless you wanna send it in for repair). from what i've read, there is no working guide for this yet.

Xbcxbc
Level 7
No, I'll probably take it out (after resetting everyting) and just keep it in a bag. I was thinking the same - if I need to send in the laptop for RMA, the original drive will be needed. I'll keep the recovery partition, although I'll look into duplicating it so that I can burn it onto a set of DVD-s, in case the drive goes bad. I really dislike that there's no recovery media with a high-end machine like this.

BobbyCannon
Level 9
I can tell you from my experience. I ordered a Samsung 840 ssd and used there tools to clone the drive. It did not work. I simply re-installed Windows 8. NOTE: If you want to boot to a USB key it must be FAT32. It will not boot to a USB key using NTFS. This machine is really great with 32gb of RAM and a SSD.

Xbcxbc wrote:
No, I'll probably take it out (after resetting everyting) and just keep it in a bag. I was thinking the same - if I need to send in the laptop for RMA, the original drive will be needed. I'll keep the recovery partition, although I'll look into duplicating it so that I can burn it onto a set of DVD-s, in case the drive goes bad. I really dislike that there's no recovery media with a high-end machine like this.

yes, it's better to keep the stock drive intact actually 🙂

BobbyCannon wrote:
I can tell you from my experience. I ordered a Samsung 840 ssd and used there tools to clone the drive. It did not work. I simply re-installed Windows 8. NOTE: If you want to boot to a USB key it must be FAT32. It will not boot to a USB key using NTFS. This machine is really great with 32gb of RAM and a SSD.

yeah it's better to configure it that way. it's too bad the cpu is soldered; or else i will definitely change that, too.

.. and it should boot if you disabled secure boot and enabled launch csm (some friends said you need to enable pxe option as well). by default it's uefi, that's why you need usb key with fat32.

BobbyCannon wrote:

Good to know, thank you. I don't have a Win 8 disk, though. And I'll probably only put 16 GB in the machine - I don't feel like taking it apart lol.