Thread: new build probs

ROG Member Array

new build probs

hi all can some one help me with some problems ive just finished rebuild my system corsair 800d case backplane not working properly only sees 3 ssd drives reset button dont work at all sent corsair rma 4 days ago no response.
    i have fx 8320 / bios 1402 keep trying too flash to 1703 it wont save i keep getting blue screen of death ive also put a evga gtx 680 4gb card with watercooled block there is that much weight on it keeps on sagging at one end i have too prop up .

so you see ive got a few probs any ideas guys.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Some system specs might help. Not sure what you mean by 'backplane'. What ports are the SSD drives plugged into? If it is the Asmedia SATA ports and your OS is on one of the drives, that maybe part of your problem.

One other thing to try is use a different video card (A GTX5XX series would be best) to flash you BIOS, then put the GTX680 back in. Or, put the GTX680 in the 2nd 16X PCI-E slot (if an SLI motherboard) to do the BIOS flash, then move it back to 1st 16X PCI-E slot after finished. I had issues with the GTX680 and the new UEFI BIOS.

Yes, some waterblocks are heavy. Some cases now are coming with support brackets just for that reason. I can say though, I have two GTX680s with Watercool's HeatKiller waterblocks and they dont sag with no support bracket. As a matter of fact, I removed the brackets from my case.

Not sure if this helps or what you experience level is, but to flash your BIOS, how did you go about it? The most 'fail-safe' method I found is by flashing with a USB Flash Drive.

1) Download newest BIOS from Asus.
    2) Not sure what motherboard you are using, but you may have to convert the BIOS to CAP from ROM. There is a utility to do this. Then you must use another utility to rename BIOS.
    3) Copy the new BIOS to the root of a USB Flash drive, plug it in and enter BIOS.
    4) Go to 'TOOLS', and the Asus EZ Flash Utility.
    5) Follow instructions (pretty easy) and if nothing wrong with system, you should be able to flash to new BIOS no problem.
    GUTS: Rampage IV Formula (4004) / Intel 3930K / 16GB Dominator Platinum 2400mhz / Corsair NeutronGT 240GB SSD / 2X EVGA GTX680 4GB 2-Way SLI / Corsair AX1200i PSU / Genesis 9000B Case

WATER: Watercool HeatKiller REV3.0 - CPU / 2X Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 - GPUs / 1X XSPC RX240 rad / 1X EK Coolstream 480 rad / XSPC Dual Rez / MCP355 Pumps / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

ROG Member Array

i there thanks for reply
    asus crosshair formula v
    corsiar 1600 x2gb gt x 4
    corsair psu 1050
    fx 8230

i tried the bios update with asus update util the corsair back plane has four hot swops on one cable at the back pluged into sata port one on mother board

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Never used hot swap before, but I am pretty sure each drive needs it's own SATA data cable from the drive to motherboard/SATA card.
    GUTS: Rampage IV Formula (4004) / Intel 3930K / 16GB Dominator Platinum 2400mhz / Corsair NeutronGT 240GB SSD / 2X EVGA GTX680 4GB 2-Way SLI / Corsair AX1200i PSU / Genesis 9000B Case

WATER: Watercool HeatKiller REV3.0 - CPU / 2X Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 - GPUs / 1X XSPC RX240 rad / 1X EK Coolstream 480 rad / XSPC Dual Rez / MCP355 Pumps / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by tone50 View Post
    hi all can some one help me with some problems ive just finished rebuild my system corsair 800d case backplane not working properly only sees 3 ssd drives reset button dont work at all sent corsair rma 4 days ago no response.
    i have fx 8320 / bios 1402 keep trying too flash to 1703 it wont save i keep getting blue screen of death ive also put a evga gtx 680 4gb card with watercooled block there is that much weight on it keeps on sagging at one end i have too prop up .

so you see ive got a few probs any ideas guys.
    Make sure you plugged the reset button pin correctly. Maybe you connected it to the wrong front panel connector or you inverted it.

Are you sure you aren't already using the 1703 BIOS? Support for the FX8320 was added in the 1703. So if you didn't have that version, your motherboard wouldn't even post.

To correct the sagging issue, I've seen some users tie a thing, almost invisble thread to the back of the GPU and tie the other end to the case. Or if you want a more cool looking way to do it, look up Scythe's Ninja Wire.

Quote Originally Posted by tone50 View Post
    i there thanks for reply
    asus crosshair formula v
    corsiar 1600 x2gb gt x 4
    corsair psu 1050
    fx 8230

i tried the bios update with asus update util the corsair back plane has four hot swops on one cable at the back pluged into sata port one on mother board
    If you look closely on the backplane, there are 4 SATA connectors and 4 SATA power connectors. The one cable you're referring to is probably the SATA power cable since it's one long cable with 4 SATA power connectors. Make sure your hot swap bay also has its own SATA cable.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

There have been many many reports of issues with the hotswap bays and motherboards here on ROG over the last year or so.

That is my first thought when seeing your problem.

Please do not use the OS to flash your BIOS. A fat formatted usb stick and the EZflash utility found in the tools section of the bios is the best way to flash.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

bios update

hi all thanks for all the info great help updated bios 1703 guess what within ten minutes blue screen of death .
    so i thought well no option deep format new install that was 6 hours ago no crashes so that just leave drive bays to sought out many thanks lads for your help .

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Keep us informed please mate.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.