Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Array

can u test to see if this makes any difference?
    go into bios
    load defaults
    change Ai Tuner from Auto to Manual
    change nothing else
    save and exit

vs
    go into bios
    load defaults
    change nothing else
    save and exit

ROG Member Array

Hi, thanks for replying. I followed your advice and tested like this: Put a single EVGA 780 SC on Slot 3 and restore defaults with AI tuner in AUTO. Then perform a group of five tests, each time I restart the computer then benchmarked it with heaven 4.0. After this group, I go to BIOS and switch from AUTO to MANUAL l and then performe another group of five tests, and so on.
    Here is the performance result of my test:
    AUTO: normal, poor, poor, poor, normal
    MANUAL: normal, normal, normal, normal, normal
    (Windows failed to load right after switching):
    AUTO: normal, poor, normal, normal, normal
    (Windows failed to load right after switching):
    MANUAL: normal, normal, normal, normal, normal
    AUTO: normal, normal, normal, normal, normal
    MANUAL: poor, normal, normal, normal, normal
    (Windows failed to load right after switching)
    AUTO: normal, normal, normal, normal, normal
    MANUAL: poor, poor, normal, normal, normal
    AUTO: normal, poor, normal, normal, normal
    (Windows failed to load right after switching)
    MANUAL: normal, normal, poor, normal, normal
    So it turned out either setting had equal chance to go wrong.
    Last edited by MetroRat; 07-01-2013 at 04:47 AM.

ROG Member Array

Well, looks like I've figured it out myself. Having tested this whole afternoon, restarted and benchmarked for 40+ times, there was no poor performance issue anymore.

As the very action of restarting has the chance to induce the problem, my guess is that this problem has something to do with the booting process: probably because of poor timing to power up the graphic card. So I made the following tweaks:

POST delay: 5 seconds.
    PCIE Native Power Management: Enable
    Native ASPM:Enable
    Turn off all fast boot options and switch off the fast boot switch on Motherboard.

Don't know which one contributes to the fix, but fortunately I'm finally done.

I got it wrong. What seemed to be fixed yesterday, was when I put a single card on the presumably bugged slot 3. Now when I put another 780 on slot 1 to form SLI. problems on Slot 3 fights back.
    Last edited by MetroRat; 07-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Off the top of my head, I am wondering if C-States are the issue. I recall I had a similar problem once before with a board using bridge chips, where the CPU assumes low multiplier during the bench. Enabling the power saving states of the PEG bus would see counter-intuitive in this case.

ROG Member Array

Well this morning when I turned on the computer, the video card on slot 3 went wrong again. 3 out of 10 restarts, I get this result. No problem at all, If I put the second card on slot 4.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bitmap Image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	22575

BTW, at that time, I had two mouse cursors on screen. One was following my mouse, the other was pinned down on the top left corner.
    Last edited by MetroRat; 07-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Off the top of my head, I am wondering if C-States are the issue. I recall I had a similar problem once before with a board using bridge chips, where the CPU assumes low multiplier during the bench. Enabling the power saving states of the PEG bus would see counter-intuitive in this case.
    Not sure if we experienced the same problem. When a restart goes stink, each time I load heaven benchmark, I get very unstable benchmark results, fluctuating from the worst case, only 1-2 fps, to the better case with only a few fps below the normal 105 average fps.
    Last edited by MetroRat; 07-01-2013 at 08:11 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Dave6479's Avatar

Any luck yet? I have the same cards as you in sli and have got this board arriving tomorrow. It worries me that this is the second board you have tried, hope its not a flaw in the design. My current board is the asus maximus iv extreme-z68 and has been great, that's why I have stuck with asus.

ROG Member Array

Having tried anything I can think up, I'm currently running out of options. If yours has no problem, It's probably a compatibility issue for me: things just don't work well together. (Dominator 2400, AX1200i, 780 ACX SC, 4770K). Please let me know.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Dave6479's Avatar

Yeah sure I'll let you know, I should be done round same time tomorrow night. Just a shot in the dark here but have you tried plugging in the EZ-Plug? I have always used it on my Maximus iv extreme. I basically connect my PSU to any power point my board has.

ROG Member Array

I tried, it didn't make any difference. Also, the manual says unless I need do a 4-way SLI, I don't really need to add this extra 6-pin power.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast