cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to upgrade to Win8

kb0sdq
Level 10
Howdy folks,
I have the G73jh lappy from bestbuy. I have been thinking of upgrading this machine to win8 while I save my pennies for the new G750 (and its a lot of pennies) lol.
Anyhow I ran the Microsoft upgrade adviser and it says most is good to go except the cd/dvd player driver. So i was thinking if I upgrade this machine then when I get the new one I will be a step ahead of the game cause I will know my way around Win8.
This machine has Win 7 64bit. I rad a Microsoft posting that Win 8.1 will have the windows start button back like win 7 has and also other improvements.
So anyhow looking forward to see what folks think. Upgrade this lappy and get the fustration over with before the new machine, Or go in blind, lol
Thanks,
Happy ROG_n

Doug
4 REPLIES 4

Pitcher1
Level 9
asus have not provide G73JH driver for WIn 8, so , if you upgrade it, you will find driver by youself and asus will not guarantee it is able to use.

kb0sdq
Level 10
Thanks for the info. So I will wait till I get the G750 hoping to get one for my birthday next week or so. heh you never know.
Again thanks for the info Pitcher
Happy ROG_n

Doug

billyray520
Level 10
My G73jh is still functioning so well that I don't have an excuse to get the G750 (yet) I like the multiple USB 3.0 and the 32 GB ram! Not too sold on the matte screen though. I wonder if the 3D version will have the gloss screen? I love the gloss screen on my G73jh (and Sw). I can see details that just aren't that visible on a matte screen. For example the ROG wallpaper that has the rain falling with the reflection under the ROG logo (finalwallconcourse.jpg) is just not very vivid on a matte screen. Maybe its just me.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

kb0sdq
Level 10
Thanks BillyRay
My lappy is working great also. The first thing I did when I got it was do a fresh install of Win7.
Had it folding while I played wow for couple years. So far all I had to replace was the battery which was free under the geek squad warranty from bestbuy. I still game pretty hard on it.I am playing swtor,wow marvel heroes,d3 and a few steam games every day. I do dot fold any longer.
The reason I got on the win8 kick was because my wife and I bought our daughter a Toshiba lappy from wal-mart and she was trying to set it up and I was totally lost. So I thought if I upgraded this machine to win8 I would know my way around the OS.
Tonight I read that win 8.1 preview is out. It is a free upgrade to win8 users.
So knock knock here comes the future OS'
Happy ROG_n

Doug