cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sonic radar

Rob_Hawk
Level 7
Been looking at the new maximum vi boards and see this on asus news press (*Sonic Radar will be offered with all ROG gaming sound cards (including Xonar Phoebus and Xonar Phoebus Solo) and Maximus VI Series motherboards with SupremeFX from summer 2013.)

How will this work is there a update for the phoebus coming up soon to run sonic radar outside of the maximum vi boards ?
Or is it maximum vi + phoebus to access sonic radar.
52 REPLIES 52

cx-ray
Level 12
I'd be very hesitant about installing such software if you're gaming online. Personally, I don't think any anti-cheat system will permit the use of it. It would also open the floodgates to additional gaming "aids" . I already can imagine functionality that's essentially the reverse of Sonic Radar. For instance, whenever an enemy shows up on the mini map, a player is then alerted by a directional sound queue.

Rob_Hawk
Level 7
Agree but we'll have to see hows it pans out with anti cheats like punkbuster due to it being software besed,
Still interested in how it work on the hardware side tho

Unfortunately when something else is doin the work for the player,
its like cheat. and unhearable small voices turning into an radar image can rise questions.
Manufacturers invent and build what looks cools and sells.
Asus sure sense this has risk to get ban -but before such happens it has sold a lot.
Luckily they didnt (yet) make external version out of this -which is plugged in between your headphone wire and computer. -because those cant be detected by punkbuster,
like many such recoil-removing mouses where scripts are uploaded onto mouse, and dont use/ need any software/process inside the operating system.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
There will be an update adding this functionality to the Phoebus soon.

this was quite a long time ago , any news on this ?

Would be nice to get conformation, this thread started a long time ago. This was the reason i bought the Phoenix in the fitst place, but with a surround 5.1 headset it will work great. Now with my 2.1 set its doable, but i would really like to try some sonic radar. But somehow it could be that asus is stopped by game developers and punkbuster to add sonic radar to any of their products.
We will see, hope t hear from Raja soon.

MRBULL wrote:
this was quite a long time ago , any news on this ?

No update or ETA right now - the driver rework has a higher priority.

Raja
Level 13
There will be an update adding this functionality to the Phoebus soon.

EDITED

In games that crash or don't give any sound, disable GX, it is only for legacy games that make use of EAX.

Thanks to yogibuh for posting that info.

If you install the motherboard drivers from the new 6 series(include the sounddrivers) reboot and voila sonic radar
It works with all the games(included bo2 and bf3)