cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some clarification on how to use adaptive voltage

Noite
Level 7
Hey guys! My new z87-pro motherboard should be arriving first thing tomorrow and I'd like to be fully ready to use it as soon as I have it.

Adaptive voltage sounds like an amazing concept, allowing the cpu to use a fixed limit of voltage when it's running at 100% but pulling back when such a voltage is not needed. Problem is none of the tutorials I've read/watched explains all the sub options and how you should manipulate them to fit your needs.

Say I have tested my CPU using manual and ensured that 1.25v is stable for the frequency I'm using, how would I go about setting adaptive so that it will use 1.25v max and scale down to as low as needed when using non strenuous applications like web browsing etc?

Just so I don't screw up at all, I'd ask for an explanation of what each of the options under adaptive does as I'm not a native speaker and there is always the possibility I might be misunderstanding what each of them actually does. If possible, values to ensure I get my desired configuration of 1.25v max (or however much it ends up being, but use 1.25v as an example) on 100% load and scaling back as low as needed would be perfect.

Thank you in advance for any help provided, let me know if I forgot to include anything 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

Praz
Level 13
You would type in 1.25 in the Adaptive Turbo Boost field under Adaptive. Have a look at the thread linked below.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33680-Beginner-Adaptive-Voltage-4pin-CPU-power

Thank you for the swift reply, the thread also answered some minor questions I had so I should be good to go 🙂

Though just for the sake of knowing, what does the offset option actually do?

Praz
Level 13
You're welcome. 🙂 Same as the regular offset has always done. If you were to add +0.100V offset the CPU voltage would be increased this amount throughout the frequency range. Is stock voltage for the CPU was 0.800V at idle and 1.100V under full load a +0.100 offset would increase this to 0.900V at idle to 1.200V full load.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Very clear and concise answer, thank you Praz most helpful.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.