cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project E.B.T.R: Back to Life

Mif
Level 7
Hey there everyone. Some of you may remember me from some of the local WA lans, or even some down in the Bay Area.

You may also remember a little creation of mine that involved racing. Well, after a few years sitting in a crate lost deep in a strange warehouse, it finally has a chance to live again!

For those of you that are not familiar, Project E.B.T.R., formerly known as just "The Sim" is a full blown, full motion racing simulator, capable of delivering serious driving realism. It is equipped with 3 40" Samsung LCD's, a 5.1 surround sound system, realistic motion system, and many more features to give you that true racing feel.

Here are a few shots pre-teardown to get you going:

With all the choices of hardware vendors out there, the choice was clear. ASUS ROG.

For the other necessary components, the other clear choice was naturally corsair.

The PC Parts:
Intel Core i7 2600k
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
2x ASUS GTX560 Ti DirectCUII
2x Corsair F60 60GB SSD's
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair H60 Hydro Series Cooler

The Sim Parts:
3x 40" Samsung LCD's
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
Butt Kicker Gamer
Genuine Sparco Fighter Racing Seat
4 point genuine Crow racing harness
Completely Custom built steel and aluminum racing frame
2 Point motion system
Many other custom parts that will not be named 🙂

Teardown and rebuild:

I lost some of the images of the H60 mounting, but here is the motherboard tray with the PSU and H60 mounted in place, and ready for the new mobo, as well as 2 shiny new F60 SSD's from Corsair:

The motherboard tray is a modified chassis I found somewhere, stripped down mounted to a custom steel plate and frame, and reinforced to manage the movement of the motion system.

Now it's time for the shiny new ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z

The tray was missing one of the standoff locations, but an old Xeon Socket 604 retention clip makes a perfect standoff replacement!

Motherboard nicely installed. Gotta love the black and red!

16 gigs of Corsair Dominator installed. I think I will have to get my friends at Corsair to send some red heatsinks over for these...

Time for some graphics. Two Geforce GTX560 Ti DirectCuII's

After a quick test fit, it became clear that this micro board was going to be a tight fit with the Corsair Airflow Pro and the video cards. A Quick Fix was needed in the form of an old server air shroud modified!

Once that was taken care of, the Airflow Pro fit nice and snug into place

Last bit to take care of is some power for the graphics

And the computer bit is complete!

More pics of the PC in the unit to come, as well as shots of it in action, as well as new logos and lighting!
11 REPLIES 11

chrsplmr
Level 18
This is going to be good..Thanks Mif...Best of luck..cant wait to see rebuild.c.

pcjunkie209
Level 9
Hey Mif glad you got a good sponsor. We met at Infernal LAN and discussed this build in depth. Can't wait to give it a whirl.
"I would rather be gaming!" Grunts-clan.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://Pcjunkiemods.com
http://c2cmods.com

would also not use an all-in-one water-cooling solution for this build but instead to custom to make it look like a hot rod

Unfortunately do to the nature of this beast, and the fact that it will be crated and moved/shipped to a lot of shows, a full blown water cooled rig just isn't a good option at this point. Maybe someday!

Mif wrote:
Unfortunately do to the nature of this beast, and the fact that it will be crated and moved/shipped to a lot of shows, a full blown water cooled rig just isn't a good option at this point. Maybe someday!

just let me know when will be glad. great job thus far - glad to see it back. what are odds of NVIDIA 3d surround?

DarthBeavis wrote:
they should bring on a modder to do the hardware install, liquid cool it, and make it look the best it can 😉 Brian could send me

DarthBeavis wrote:
would also not use an all-in-one water-cooling solution for this build but instead to custom to make it look like a hot rod

Brian should send you!!!

Mif wrote:

and if anyone can make it ship in one piece its Rich!!
"I would rather be gaming!" Grunts-clan.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://Pcjunkiemods.com
http://c2cmods.com

Yeah I could make it ship. Instapak is ur friend 😉

DarthBeavis
Level 9
they should bring on a modder to do the hardware install, liquid cool it, and make it look the best it can 😉 Brian could send me

Area_66
Level 11
looks good mif, you gone like those GTX 560 ti CU II , far less noisy than other brand.