cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help keeping temperatures down when doing minor OCing

havok2191
Level 7
Hello Everyone,

I have been a lurker on the forums for sometime now and I just made an account recently. I have just bought a 3930K, RIVF, 32GB of Gskill TridentX 2400Mhz, GTX 780 and an H110. I was looking at all the guides the nice ROG guys have done and I've experimented a little here and there. So far I got my 3930K to sip 1.22V VCore (manual mode) to run at 4.2Ghz stable, any lower will result in rounding errors. I use prime95 in place FFTs to test stability for 30mins to ensure everything is rock solid. I see temperatures of around 65-66C on the synthetic load and idle temperatures of 37-40C. I feel the idle temperatures are a bit high and I am using MX-4 Thermal Paste and have ensured that the cooler is seated properly (twice) and keep my well-ventilated case open for doing stability testing. I make the RAM run at 1600Mhz since thats all I need and supply it 1.51V just to be safe. I was just wondering if there are any other settings I could tweak to lower my CPU load temperatures. I like to experiment so I am open to suggestions

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
A few settings you can try. Some might affect your stability so you'll just have to tweak them.

1. Make sure the Power Saving options are enabled. Things like Intel Speedstep and the other C states.
2. Lower PLL.
3. Use Regular or Medium LLC.
4. Lower CPU Power Phase Control to Optimized.

havok2191
Level 7
Thanks a lot, I will try these. I know PLL will affect stability. I'm guessing Regular-Medium LLC will make the processor drop voltage even more on load so less stability there as well. Will the optimized CPU Power Phase Control increase VRM temperatures?

Chino
Level 15
Each CPU is different and each scenario is unique. So it's unpredictable. But sometimes you might just find that the settings that you're using are not always the most optimal ones. Tweaking an overclock takes time and patience.

HiVizMan
Level 40
What I would want to explore is the air flow patterns of your case, your idle should be between 8 -12 'C different from ambient.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

havok2191
Level 7
I had 2 3930Ks actually. I got a newer one and an older one. The newer one ran extremely hot in comparison to the older one I had. I made sure to apply the proper amount of thermal paste and mounted the Corsair H110 on it - did this twice just to make sure. The H110 is mounted at the top of the case grabbing air from the top and pushing it down. 4 fans in the case are setup as intake and 1 is setup to be exhaust (out the back). The case does not have any side fans and is an acrylic window so I usually take it out when I do synthetic stress tests. So the newer processor used to idle at 33-39-37-36-38-34 and the older one idled at around 29-33-34-33-35-34 which isn't too big a deal but I made sure ambient temperature were the same when I was testng (I have an A/C and thermometer in my room). I use Prime95 in-place FFT stress test for 30mins to make sure the system is stable and after that I play games (BF3, LoL, BioShock Infinite, etc.) and watch some HD movies (on Netflix) to ensure further stability. Anyway, the prime95 tests after 30mins showed the following temps at 4.2Ghz:
Newer Processor @ 1.22V: 49-64-60-57-56-54
Older Processor @ 1.24V: 43-44-42-46-44-42
I made sure all workers were running and had not stopped due to rounding errors. So I guess the newer processor is just hotter than the old one which is quite a shame and there's really nothing to do about it. I was able to take the older processor to around 4.5-4.7x before it started hitting the mid 60s but I really just wanted the processor to be cool since I have a hot room in summer. Just thought I would share my results.

Thanks everyone

minimic
Level 7
You may try to lower vccsa, it adds quite a lot to the cpu core temperature on my 3930k.
[MB:Asus Rampage Gene IV]/[CPU:I7 3930K C2]/[RAM:4xGskill TridentX F3-2400C10-8GTX 9-9-9-24@1600MHz]/[GFX:POV TGT GTX 670]/[CASE:Siverstone FT03]/[WC:NexXxos ST30, NexXxoS UT60,HeatKiller 3.0, laing d5]/[FANS: 5x120mm]