cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus g74sx sound problem

jayrx
Level 7
Havent seen the issue posted up here or maybe im blind lol but I have a G74SX-NH71 and recently for some reason im not getting any soind output from my speakers but my bios loading sound does make sound and one occasion it worked randomly. headphone jack works and so does hdmi but not my speakers I reformatted and installed all items from that driver disk in that one post and still no go anyone have any suggestions to help me out I would greatly appreciate it as this is becoming a stubborn problem 😞
5 REPLIES 5

jayrx
Level 7
Bump anyone

dstrakele
Level 14
Since you recently reported some sound from the speakers, it may be possible the headphone jack has a bent internal clip, causing it to behave as if headphones are ALWAYS inserted and disabling the laptop speakers. See http://forum.notebookreview.com/5879478-post337.html for more information.

You could check this in the Realtek Audio Manager - it would graphically display headphones inserted in the jack when they are actually removed. You may be able to carefully bend the clip back into it's proper position or use a registry workaround to direct audio to either headphone jack or laptop speakers.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Pitcher1
Level 9
you mean laptop can not play any sound from laptop speaker? or when you plug headphone the laptop speaker can not play any sound?

jayrx
Level 7
What I mean is when there is no headphones or anything plugged the laptop speakers do not work sorry if my first post was misleading

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

If it wasn't clear, the notebook will automatically switch between speakers and headphones depending if anything is plugged into the headphone jack. There are no settings or way for you to control this.

So....if you get sound through your headphones but not through your speakers (the notebook is no longer automatically switching the audio output for you), apparently there is some hardware problem related to your notebook speakers (which may or may not be related to the speakers themselves).

As dstrakele (thanks for all dstrakele's help!) mentioned above, there is a chance that the problem is with your headphone jack that is keeping the audio 'stuck' on headphones that you might be able fix.
Otherwise, if you have any interest, you can also send it to ASUS for out-of-warranty service although you might also want to double-check if you have any warranty left. Let us know if you want more information about this.

If you don't mind connecting external speakers, this is another idea.

Good luck!