cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Fan Xpert hotkey to switch profiles

Sunstorm
Level 7
Hi All, I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to use hotkeys or even better a temperature trigger (not CPU/core temp) to change fan profiles in fan Xpert? I have several profiles, but have to go in to the software to change the profile manually.

I used to use SpeedFan to trigger changes in case fan speed based on GPU temp, so that they ramped up when gaming, but were quiet otherwise (even under CPU load). Unfortunately SpeedFan does not appear to support the mobo I now have, the Z87 Maximus VI Hero.

Any suggestions as to how to achieve this goal with fan Xpert or other software would be much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

maukkae
Level 7
I am really interested in this too. ASUS GPUTweak already supports hotkeys. I think it would be too much to ask to be able to control the mobo and gpu fans from a single program, but separate keyboard shortcuts for Fan Xpert would rock.

Hi

Since there is no official or unofficial support for fan expert hotkeys and you can't switch profiles with keys, you must enter to the ai suite and change them manually.

I have found that the main file used for fan speed is FanStore.xml ( location C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01 )
When You load your saved profile then FanStore.xml is overwritten by your profile file ( location C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles )
and then AI suite is refreshing service called AsusFanControlService.exe

So when you change values in FanStore.xml
for example ( )
The fan speed is not changing but when you force to stop AsusFanControlService.exe and run it again the values are loaded and fan speed changes.

From that point I have managed to make shortcut for .bat file that is running witcher3.exe and before game start profile for games is loaded and when game stops default profile is loaded.
All in single shortcut to the bat file.

Simple .bat file you can create:
- kill AsusFanControlService.exe from windows process list
- delete FanStore.xml
- copy myGameProfile.xml ( profile for games i've created in ai suite ) from C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01
- rename myGameProfile.xml to FanStore.xml
- run AsusFanControlService.exe ( location of exe C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01 )
- start game executable
- wait for game stops and when proces of the game is closed
- delete FanStore.xml
- copy myDefaultProfile.xml ( profile for games i've created in ai suite ) from C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01
- run AsusFanControlService.exe ( location of exe C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01 )

I have created .bat file and with name "witcher3_run_profile.bat" and shortcut for the .bat file "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01\profiles\witcher3_run_profile.bat"
- you can set in shortcut propertis run minimized ( bat file will be in minimized and closes when game stops )
- you can also change shortcut icon and assing HOTKEYS for the shortcut.

Before you try to use it for yourself make copy of all profiles

-- CONTENT OF BAT FILE --
taskkill /im AsusFanControlService.exe /f
c:
cd \
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01"
del FanStore.xml
copy /y "C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles\myGameProfile.xml" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01\FanStore.xml"
start AsusFanControlService.exe

cd \
cd "C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64\"
start /wait witcher3.exe

c:
cd \
del FanStore.xml
copy /y "C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles\myDefaultProfile.xml" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01\FanStore.xml"

exit
-- END OF BAT FILE --

Feel free to ask for more details in private message or in this topic.

Regards
Kazai

P.S. Sorry for my english it is not my native language.

KazKaz wrote:
Hi

Since there is no official or unofficial support for fan expert hotkeys and you can't switch profiles with keys, you must enter to the ai suite and change them manually.

I have found that the main file used for fan speed is FanStore.xml ( location C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01 )
When You load your saved profile then FanStore.xml is overwritten by your profile file ( location C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles )
and then AI suite is refreshing service called AsusFanControlService.exe

So when you change values in FanStore.xml
for example ( )
The fan speed is not changing but when you force to stop AsusFanControlService.exe and run it again the values are loaded and fan speed changes.

From that point I have managed to make shortcut for .bat file that is running witcher3.exe and before game start profile for games is loaded and when game stops default profile is loaded.
All in single shortcut to the bat file.

Simple .bat file you can create:
- delete FanStore.xml
- copy myGameProfile.xml ( profile for games i've created in ai suite ) from C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01
- start game executable
- wait for game stops and when proces of the game is closed
- delete FanStore.xml
- copy myDefaultProfile.xml ( profile for games i've created in ai suite ) from C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01

I have created .bat file and with name "witcher3_run_profile.bat" and shortcut for the .bat file "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01\profiles\witcher3_run_profile.bat"
- you can set in shortcut propertis run minimized ( bat file will be in minimized and closes when game stops )
- you can also change shortcut icon and assing HOTKEYS for the shortcut.

Before you try to use it for yourself make copy of all profiles

-- CONTENT OF BAT FILE --
c:
cd \
del FanStore.xml
copy /y "C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles\myGameProfile.xml" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01\FanStore.xml"

cd \
cd "C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64\"
start /wait witcher3.exe

c:
cd \
del FanStore.xml
copy /y "C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert\Profiles\myDefaultProfile.xml" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.04.01\FanStore.xml"

exit
-- END OF BAT FILE --

Feel free to ask for more details in private message or in this topic.

Regards
Kazai

P.S. Sorry for my english it is not my native language.

I know this is an old thread, but I can't get AsusFanControlService.exe to run after my bat file has closed it. I've tried launching the batch file as admin, and I've tried running the program directly in explorer (again as admin) and it won't launch.

The only way it launches is through Fan Xpert (i.e. you have to run Fan Xpert and then Fan Xpert launches it automatically). Any idea how to get it working with a batch file? I'm on Windows 10 and running AI Suite 3 (Dual Intelligent Proccesors 5 version 1.05.13).