cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV extreme Z and Intel Smart Response Technology

Area_66
Level 11
Ok I'm trying to read as much as I can, I know we have to put the sata in raid in the bios but do I have to do it before install Windows or can I do it after ?

I will prefer Install Windows with only the plater drive in place.
13 REPLIES 13

Praz
Level 13

OK, so I might need a little more help than that if it is possible to attain.
If i have a 1tb hdd, and a 64 gb ssd. which sata ports should they be connected to in order to utilize this smart response?
There are 4 6gb/sec and 4 3gb/sec ports, and each seem to be paired up and split among different driver sets. I know it may seem plain to you but i'm all like wtf...
(i haven't built a computer since 486 🙂
Any insight will be apreciated, thanks!

Oh yeah, and one other thing that was confusing me. Is it possible to have just the one drive on a raid? Seems counter-intuitive.

Jerm
Level 7
FWIW - these are just my opinions...others may have different advice.
If you plan to use the SSD for your OS and only have 1 of them, then use AHCI mode. You'd need multiple drives of the same size (preferably same make/model) to do any RAID. I'd just put the SSD on the first Intel port and the HDD on the next one. Put any optical drives in the last port(s).
I have my RAID 10 on the (4) Intel (gray) ports, opticals on the Intel red ones and removables on the Marvell ports and that seems to be working fine. I dont think there's much to be gained by making sure you put the SSD on a SATA III port.
There are also some things you need to do PRIOR to OS install to ensure a smooth road going forward with the SSD. (ie, firmware, tweaks to OS after install, etc...so make sure you research the basics of SSD and Windows before diving in or you might have to redo things later.
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
(5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
Evga GeForce GTX 580
Ultra X4 1600W PSU
Lite On BD Burner
ASUS CD/DVDRW
Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

That seems to be a bit of a sidestep, but I thank you for the input. If I had 5 ssd's I might consider your config.
So I've been doing a little reading on RAID and SRT. With the mildly helpful and quite optimistic simple steps provided here:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dz68db/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_use...

...I have only one question left unanswered. With the large platter and small ssd, is it a RAID 1 (mirror), or RAID 0 (stripe) that i need to create?

HiVizMan
Level 40
You should not create a raid using a single SSD and a single platter drive - that would not be practical nor of any value to you. (Guess you could do so but why?)

Are you possibly thinking about SSD caching instead?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

caching : yes
smartresponsetechnology = caching
anyone here actually use srt yet?
if so: raid 1 or 0
i will try them both when my new drive shows up.
just thought it would be a simple answer to find prior.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Eldonko wrote:
Thought I would post a short guide on setting caching as it can be sort of confusing the first time. Hopefully it will be of use to someone. 🙂

First a few notes:
1) Your caching SSD should be 64GB or less as this is the max that can be allocated.
2) You can cache 1 HD or RAID array only so ensure you have an OS partition and games/storage partition on the HD you want to accelerate. You can cache any type of RAID array except matrix.
3) RST takes a bit of time for the cache to get populated with your OS and utils you use most. It might not seem fast at first but it will get faster over time.

Enhanced mode vs Maximized mode:
Enhanced mode is more secure because if your SSD dies you wont lose any data. With maximized mode if your SSD dies you could lose data. Basically it works like this:

With enhanced mode read perf is improved but write perf is bottlenecked by the write perf of the HD so it will be a bit slower. With maximized mode the data is written to the SSD first and then synced to the hard disk later. Thus if the drive dies before it writes to HD you lose data.

There is only a minor difference between enhanced and maximized so you have to decide if you want to risk any data of the accelerated drive for that extra 2 seconds in boot time. The difference in performance between the two is shown here.

Procedure:
1) Plug your caching SSD and storage HD (the one to accelerate) into the Intel SATA ports. Do not use 3rd party like Marvel, it will not work.
2) Enter BIOS, change HD mode to RAID
3) Install OS
4) DL the latest RST driver from Intel. Dont bother installing from mb disk, it will be outdated. Grab it here.
5) Open RST utility, go to accelerate tab
6) Enable acceleration, select your OS/storage drive as the accelerated drive, select enhanced or maximized mode. Enhanced is the most secure, maximized is the fastest.
7) Reboot. If you get a message about boot options being changed or something and are unable to boot into windows go to the BIOS and check your HD priority. It often gets changed when caching is implemented so you just have to put your OS HD back at the top.

If you already have W7 installed and do not want to reinstall do this:
1) Do not connect the caching SSD yet. First apply the following registry tweak:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Iastorv
In the details pane, right-click "Start", and then click modify.
In the Value data box, type 0

This registry change enables the RAID driver in Windows.
2) Next install the raid driver.
3) Connect your caching SSD
4) Set up caching with RST util.

Any questions just ask and Ill try to help.

This guide will help yes.

Credit to Zak
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

that's what i'm talking about!
love the reg tweak, think I'll do that instead of reinstall.
now if intel would only pay you guys to write their lit.
😄 🙂 😄

HiVizMan
Level 40
We get there in the end mate, just a bit slow this early in the morning. Tell us how it goes yes.

Cheers