cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCH Fan speed setting advice

Howie
Level 9
Hi all, after reading threads I realized my own PCH fan was not spinning at Auto setting with BIOS 4102. Starting a new thread because I can't find clear cut guidance on best PCH fan speed settings in general:

Known facts:

- Current 4102 BIOS sets PCH fan in default "Auto" setting to be not spinning, (silent?) supposedly until PCH temps reach 80° (or 90°?)
- Previous BIOS builds had PCH fan spinning on high at all times as default.
- Changing Fan Speed Control in BIOS for PCH Fan to "Disabled" runs fan at full speed all the time. Setting to "User Mode" is another option with which the fan also spins.

Observations:

Setting PCH fan setting to "Disabled" enables the fan, running always on high at ~ 5,700 RPM (quite audible.)
Setting PCH Fan setting to "User Mode" with 25° low speed temp / 60° high speed temp option, allows fan to run lower/quieter at around 3,950 RPM.

Questions:

1) Is there a consensus of a "best" setting for PCH fan speed?
2) With multiple modes, (Disabled, Duty Mode, Profile Mode, User Mode, etc.) how does one choose?
3) If I choose User Mode, does the 25° low speed temp / 60° high speed temp option seem appropriate? How does this compare to Duty Mode or Profile Mode?
4) Does ASUS officially feel, with new BIOS settings, that PCH fan is unnecessary until high temps (80° or higher) are reached?

Thanks for your input!
MB: Rampage IV Extreme · CPU: i7 3960X · Cooler: Maingear EPIC 180 (liquid)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 8x4GB PN: CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9
Disks: 2x 512GB Samsung 830 RAID0 (Intel 6G ports), 1x Samsung 830 512GB (Asmedia 6G port)
WD 2002FAEX 2TB and HGST
HDN724040ALE640 4TB (Intel 3G ports)
LG WH12LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD Burner (Intel 3G port)
PSU: Seasonic XP1000 · GPU: Visiontek Radeon HD 6970
OS
: Windows 7 Pro UEFI installation · Chassis: Maingear SHIFT
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
This fan is a bit of decoration really....the PCH is not going to get hot under most normal situations. If you have no airflow in your case out in the Mojave desert and you're running Prime95 for 24 hour periods maybe, just maybe you would need to cool the PCH.

I set user mode and lower temp 40 upper temp 60 and it has never ramped up in speed...and just spins along nice and quiet.

It was a bit disconcerting to find it not spinning at all with 4102 but the ASUS changelog has always been useless.......;)

Howie
Level 9
Thanks Arne, as always! I am in a somewhat hot area, and yea my case airflow is not extreme like most people have built for themselves, so probably best I let the PCH fan run, but with the lower speed unless the temperature does get too high. It's comforting to get your feedback 🙂
MB: Rampage IV Extreme · CPU: i7 3960X · Cooler: Maingear EPIC 180 (liquid)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 8x4GB PN: CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9
Disks: 2x 512GB Samsung 830 RAID0 (Intel 6G ports), 1x Samsung 830 512GB (Asmedia 6G port)
WD 2002FAEX 2TB and HGST
HDN724040ALE640 4TB (Intel 3G ports)
LG WH12LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD Burner (Intel 3G port)
PSU: Seasonic XP1000 · GPU: Visiontek Radeon HD 6970
OS
: Windows 7 Pro UEFI installation · Chassis: Maingear SHIFT