cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finalizing Maximus Hero VI build and need opinions about some part choices

vegasf1
Level 7
I want to build a good and safe system that is decently fast. I would like to overclock it a little, but not too much. The days of pushing it to the possibility of breaking something is behind me now and I've been out of the building comp game for about a decade and I know a lot has changed since then. I have been usually just been buying crappy off the rack stuff, but want to get back into a decent gaming system again.

I have so far.
Corsair Carbide 500R case
Asus MATRIX-HD7970-P-3GD5 video card

Things like hard drive, blu ray and dvd burner/player, and wifi card aren't hard choices so I don't need opinions there. But need help on a few other components.

CPU is going to be the Intel Core i7-4770K I think. I currently have a i7-3770 thats locked down in a cheap dell comp I got at costco last year and now want something a little faster, but nothing crazy. I will also use this comp for work (I work from home in the real estate business and need it to reliable too)

I want to use the Maximus Hero VI board, but need to narrow down some other key choices. I need to know what are some good cpu fan choices that will fit. I was thinking corsair h80i, but have never used a liquid cooled cpu cooler before so I am considering other cpu fan choices like the Noctua NH-D14. CPU cooling options is where I am the most confused. I have read about the ones I just mentioned and others like the thermaltake NIC and FRIO series and coolers from cooler master.

For memory I was thinking of going with G.Skill 16 GB RipjawsZ F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH (DDR3 2133MHz). Or would since I would be going more of a safe route and overclocking a little and not a lot would a DDR3 1866 memory option be better? I had first thought about going with a DDR3 2400 option first, but then changed my mind.

I was thinking of going with a corsair hx 1050 psu. Is that too much or should I go down to a HX 850?

I guess that's pretty much it. I can't wait to finalize a list of parts then buy and build this thing.

I feel so burned out reading reviews and trying to figure out if all parts will fit in the case or be compatible with each other. This is why when I changed jobs from the IT industry to the real estate industry I got out of the hardcore oc computer game.

Thanks to anyone who provides any insight at all. I am open to any and all opinions. Again, please keep in mind that this will be a work and gaming comp that has to be reliable.
11 REPLIES 11

vegasf1
Level 7
Can the mods move http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34178-Finalizing-Maximus-Hero-VI-build-and-need-opinions-ab...

to this section? I think this is the right section for my thread about help with my build.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem done. Please keep in mind that reviewers are dependant on Vendors for their income. They are paid to write reviews, be it in the form of advertising or being allowed to keep the product. So you work it out. Are you really going to say a product is crap and risk not getting any more. Don't think so.

Good CPU choice, mobo and ram - 2133 mh z

PSU is dependant on your VGA solution which I could not find.

Cooling - I like air cooling and the Nocto would get my vote.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
No problem done. Please keep in mind that reviewers are dependant on Vendors for their income. They are paid to write reviews, be it in the form of advertising or being allowed to keep the product. So you work it out. Are you really going to say a product is crap and risk not getting any more. Don't think so.

Good CPU choice, mobo and ram - 2133 mh z

PSU is dependant on your VGA solution which I could not find.

Cooling - I like air cooling and the Nocto would get my vote.

Thanks for the feedback. This is the card.

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/MATRIXHD7970P3GD5/

I was also considering going with a seasonic psu over the corsair, but I figure that you can't go wrong with either one. I'm just wondering if I really need 1000w. Then again 20 bucks isn't going to kill me either by going with a 850w model.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I might rethink that graphic card to be blunt.

Unless you are getting a really good deal it is not worth the money. Any reference card will perform as well as it does and you will have the option of overclocking a reference card. The Matrix has had a rocky path to date seriously stay away for now.

If the Seasonic is within your budget get it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

vegasf1
Level 7
I already got the video card, but I can easily return it as I got it from amazon prime. Any vid card recommendations? You can PM me if you don't feel like posting it here. I can probably save some money returning that thing too. It was expensive.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have no problem saying stuff in open forum. 🙂

Right now for graphic cards I would suggest a nVidia GTX 780 reference card, or any HD 7970 reference card. All graphic cards that are reference are made by the two factories and then re-branded by the different vendors. They put their logo on the box and the card.

Non-reference cards like the one you linked to are designed and made purpose built for the vendor.

Reference cards are all the same and the only thing you should look at is price and after sales service. Make is not relevant in this instance as they are all made in the same place. 🙂

vegasf1
Level 7
Those 780 cards are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, but pricey. If I go with that then I think my priorities will change a little. I would be willing to overclock a litle more than I had planned. But the main thing is that I have a comp that is stable. My phone was stuck in odin mode last week and I was closing a real estate deal two days later and I was panicking. I finally got it working after 14 straight hours of playing in bootloader mode and if I was so close to paying 600 bucks for the galaxy s4 if I couldn't get it working, but I did. It wasn't a huge transaction,, but this is my present to myself for that deal.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I get you.

Good graphic card and a SSD are the key.

For your needs I would then suggest a 4670K as you do not do huge renders that require 8 threads. Gaming will not make any difference in FPS achieved with that CPU either. Save $100 and get a SSD of 250GB or larger. I saw a very good deal from Crucial on their web site for the 960GB M5 just could not help myself and had to buy it. 🙂

vegasf1
Level 7
At least I'm getting somewhere with my list. The UPS guy is going to be laughing at me as he's dropping off as much things as he's picking up for returns.

Another question since I will probably be overclocking it more than I had planned, should I stick with the memory I had on my list or upgrade that?