cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade your harddrive and memory on your G50 and 51 Series

Retired
Not applicable
To upgrade your harddrive and memory in your G50 and G51 Series notebooks, you need to be able to access the guts of the notebook. To do this you need to remove 12 screws highlighted in red to remove the bottom panel.

Under the hood! As you can see there are 2 hard drives and 2 dimms for memory. Some models may only come with a single harddrive and can have a 2nd harddrive added.

Unscrew the harddrive tray from the chassis (look for 4 screws)

Pull on the ribbon and slide out the harddrive

You will notice there are 4 screws holding the harddrive. Unscrew these.

We have upgraded our harddrive with an OCZ Vertex Series SSD.

Pop it back in and and screw back everything from steps 1 and 2.

Remember you can make either harddrive the Primary Drive. If your computer does not recognize the drive as your primary, you can either switch it in the bios or physically swap the harddrives.
If your computer came with a single harddrive and you plan to add a secondary slave drive be sure to get a hard drive tray otherwise your harddrive will fall out.
14 REPLIES 14

Retired
Not applicable
Because the estore no longer carries the HDD trays, I just used some foam rubber to hold my second HDD in place. Been in there for almost a year now

Retired
Not applicable
or velcro works

Retired
Not applicable
Brian@ASUS wrote:
or velcro works

hmm never thought about velcro, was worried it wouldn't take the heat well

Retired
Not applicable
if you just velcro the edge or corners, itll be fine. you will actually get a bit of space to create a small layer of air. better heat dissipation then nothing. i use SSD in my notebooks, so i dont really worry too much of heat. should upgrade =P world of a difference.

maybe ill do a DIY ghetto guide with velcro and other such material

Retired
Not applicable
yeah velcro, duct tape, zip strips, and JB wield. Staples for any DIY pro

Retired
Not applicable
I know this thread is a little old but... "Will fall out"?

With the bottom on I don't see it going very far. Main worries would be flexing of the SATA connector and on a bad day the drive moving backwards out of the connector. But nearly 2 years without a caddy and never an issue on my 50. As of last week I actually have wires running under the HDD making the situation worse then it normally is.

jewie27
Level 7
I thought the G50's RAM can't be upgraded past 4Gigabytes. According to Crucial.com
New ROG PC built Nov 2011:
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel Core I5-2500K
(2) EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked in SLI
Corsair 600T
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooling
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD for boot drive
8GB Red Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24
1.5 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Asus 12x Blu-Ray Writer

Built my first PC at age 12, Pentium III @ 450 Mhz.

I upped mine from 4gb to 8gb with no problems.
Just run SIW to check if your not sure. (SIW = System Information for Windows, just google SIW and download the free version, build 0714)
G750JX, i7 4700HQ, 16Gb Ram, 1TB + 256SSD, Win8.1 64bit.
G50v A1, T9400, 8Gb Ram, 2x WD 320Gb 7200rpm Black, 4Gb Turbo Memory, Cooling mod. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

good to know that it can take 8gigs. I wonder why even Corsair's website says 4 gigs is the max for a G50.
New ROG PC built Nov 2011:
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel Core I5-2500K
(2) EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked in SLI
Corsair 600T
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooling
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD for boot drive
8GB Red Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24
1.5 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Asus 12x Blu-Ray Writer

Built my first PC at age 12, Pentium III @ 450 Mhz.