cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to change LCD panel?

mrhobbeys
Level 7
Recently I had the chance to use a laptop a far superior screen to mine. The picture was crystal clear and I could read web pages and PDFs while scrolling which was very nice. The difference was the refresh rate. I would like to know if I could update my G75-BBKxxx (BestBuy Model) to something with a higher refresh rate, the maximum I can obtain right now is 60Hz. I believe I was using one that had a 240 refresh rate although I am not sure if that was MHz or Hz.

Also I watched about 5 min of a movie and sampled a couple of games. The picture quality was really amazing, like watching the highest quality TV I have seen or being at the movie theater.
7 REPLIES 7

Gumwars
Level 8
I think your best bet is to call one of the custom laptop builders and see if they'll take it on. I'm waiting for my G75 from Xotic PC and I've requested a higher color gamut display be installed. As far as refresh rates, I'm not sure if that's completely determined by the display itself. If you have the 3D display, congrats! You've already got 120hz.

I think that up to now, the best you can find on a laptop is a 120Hz.

Indeed, if you have a 3D G75, you already have 120Hz screen. Maybe you have to activate it (screen resolution).

It's possible to find new 3D screen for G75... but i's risky. 😄
Example: https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/G75VX-3D/
Even if your graphic card can deal with it, maybe you'd get hardware incompatibility?
(And for 3D, you need infra-red...)

As Gumwars says, if xoticpc can change the screen, it's not impossible...

Clerbois
Level 7
I think that up to now, the best you can find on a laptop is a 120Hz.

Indeed, if you have a 3D G75, you already have 120Hz screen. Maybe you have to activate it.

It's possible to find new 3D screen for G75... but i's risky. 😄
Example: https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/G75VX-3D/
Even if you graphic card can deal with it, maybe you'd get hardware incompatibility.
(And for 3D, you need infra-red...)

Apexing
Level 9
Wait for Gumwars to get his laptop, ask him to post what name the screen has/number from hwinfo, then you could search for the screen and replace it youself.

-edit-
sorry did not see i wrote your name wrong xD

Apexing wrote:
Wait for Gamut to get his laptop, ask him to post what name the screen has/number from hwinfo, then you could search for the screen and replace it youself.

Yeah, but mine isn't a higher refresh rate, it's just a more color accurate one...

(No worries Apex, it's all good)

Pitcher1
Level 9
asus will not recommend do this, but i know some people have do that.

jmhdj
Level 10
It is possible to change screens that have 40 pin lvds Connector on non 3D models. But not With Screens that have 120hz refresh rate as those are 3D compatible screens and are different Connectors at back they are 50 pin internal display port type.