cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About SSD for G46VW

rhk217
Level 7
Hello,

So I am noobie when it comes to internal hard drives and I know even less about SSD drives. I am considering adding an SSD to my G46VW and I had seen the assemble and disassemble videos on youtube, and I think I saw somewhere that a usual SSD wont fit into the G46VW.

So what I wish to do is add an SSD while retaining the poor 5400RPM 750 GB HDD.
Will this be suitable? If not (or even if this is suitable) please explain what variant of SSD I am to use.
http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-840-series-120-gb-ssd-internal-hard-drive-mz-7td120bw/p/itmdhwymqtah...

Thanks.

ASUS G46VW-BSI5N06
Intel Corei5-3230M | nVidia GTX-660M 2GB GDDR5 | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 750 GB 5400 RPM HDD | 1366x768 14" Screen
10 REPLIES 10

ggBanks
Level 10
The SSD you have posted the link to is a normal 2.5' SATA SSD which can be used to replace the HDD you have now. Since you explicitly said that you want to keep your HDD then you have to look for an mSATA SSD which is a smaller variant and will fit inside your laptop. Hope I helped 🙂

rhk217
Level 7
Sure did. Thanks.

One more thing. So any SSD that has a 2.5' build factor wont be appropriate for my needs right? Just confirming.

ASUS G46VW-BSI5N06
Intel Corei5-3230M | nVidia GTX-660M 2GB GDDR5 | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 750 GB 5400 RPM HDD | 1366x768 14" Screen

ggBanks
Level 10
Yes then you will have to replace your HDD

bignazpwns
Level 11
Just go Mushkin Atlas Enhanced. Then you could always ram cache with the ssd...or to the 5,300rpm drive.

Screenshot 240gb Atlas MSATA SSD left. turd ball 5,300rpm drive on the right using ram caching. This was just a single run. Not to bad.

Also note that was a clean image install off recovery dvd's and i just clicked whatever setting up the ram cache to get it running. Nothing is optimized because this is not my pc and i was just testing some new ram in it and had it on hand so i figure what the heck i'll just show you you what i mean.

And when loading wow on the SSD with no ram cache vs a 5,300rpm drive with ram cacheing i was timing the load screens and they were about even give or take 1 second. Some times the SSd was a second faster some times the ram cached 5,300rpm drive was. Not a SSD replacement but cheap alternative to keep a give drive and give it a bit more umph.

Pic of the benches.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd370/ogeanog/IMG_20130704_042852.jpg

rhk217
Level 7
bignazpwns,

So I can superspeed my sucky HDD with ram cacheing? I'm completely new to the concept of ram cacheing. Could you explain it a bit more?

I would be more interested in ram caching my HDD than getting an SSD because simply I don't have the money right now 😛

ASUS G46VW-BSI5N06

ggBanks
Level 10
RAM caching would require a lot of memory and with your 8GB that would somewhat cripple your machine. Your best bet is to buy an mSATA SSD and forget about all hassles. Besides RAM caching requires more software to be installed on your machine, which is always bad news when it comes to the Windows registry. Just my opinion 🙂

Djask
Level 7
ggBanks is right. You should get an mSATA SSD. If you want to keep the HDD this is the only option to go unless you opt for an external HDD, which is impractical. The best mSATA would probably be the Crucial M4 256GB.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

I would second the advice against RAM caching. The Windows operating system wasn't made to support it, so it causes problems. LINUX on the other hand, can do more of that, since it has native support for RAM filesystems (and has for years). Also, with only 8 GB of RAM, you probably couldn't allocate enough to make it worthwhile. If you had 16 GB, then maybe, but even then, that's a stretch. RAM disks (and RAM caching) are best when you have 24-32+GB of RAM.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

rhk217
Level 7
Allright, thanks guys. I'll stick with this drive for now, till the prices of SSDs come down. 😉

ASUS G46VW-BSI5N06