cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerfull OC station build

Jakob_Zmrzlikar
Level 7
Hi guys!

I am a great overclocking enthusiast, and I am currently building a massive OC computer. I will list full specification and also the price and the reason I chose this specific model. I hope you guys will like it and of course, advice me on building even better one.

Here are full specs:

I will use this computer for gaming and extreme overclocking.

My budget: around 3000-4000€, maybe another 1000€ for future upgrades.

CPU: Intel i7 5770K (when it will be released).

I chose this cpu because I know it will work well and fast. I chose Broadwell over Haswell because Haswell still uses 22 nm technology, and Broadwell will use 14 nm and will be much faster because of this. The price will probably be a little more than 4770K, so let's say that 5770k will cost me around 400€.
I am also planning on upgrading it to Intel i7 7770K when it will be released.

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Extreme (when it will be released).

I chose this motherboard because I know ASUS and ROG products are trustworthy, and because it will be good for overclocking. The price, I hope will be around 400€.
I am also planning on upgrading it to Maximus IX Extreme (that will support 7770K) when it will be released.

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB (4x4 GB) @ 2800 MHz.

Since I will be super overclocking my PC, I chose this RAM because it is one of the best and most stable ones on the market. It has amazing speed and I think that 16 GB is enough for intensive gaming and overclocking. The price for this is due to its amazing speed, very high, around 560€.

SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 128 GB

I think 128 GB is enough to store OS, some games and other little things. 840 PRO also has very high speed, around 530 MB/s. The price is 125€.

I will maybe upgrade or add ROG Raidr when it will be released.

Hard drive: WD Black 7.000 RPM 1 TB.

1 TB is probably enough for now, if I will need more, I will upgrade it. It costs around 80€.

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-4GD GTX 770 4GB

I was choosing between NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 and 780, but I chose this 770 because it also has 4 GB memory, even more than 780! Its engine and memory clocks are also higher than 780, and it is much cheaper. It costs around 480€.

I will probably add another one or two of these in the future.

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Since I will be extremely overclocking, and I plan to add one or two GPUs in the future, I chose 1200 W. This psu is also one of the best and most stable I could find. The cost is 310€.

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II

It offers a lot of space and is great looking. It also has fan and LED control panel integrated. It costs around 350€.

Cooling:

Now this is the hardest part. Since I will be insane overclocking, I would like to have the best cooling available. I was thinking about custom liquid cooling. I would like to have something like Origin Cryogenic cooling, Digital Storm Cryo-TEC or CyberPowerPC Xtreme Hydro II.

If anyone knows or has any advice or information on building the best cooling, just tell me.

Mouse: Razer Mamba 2012

It's cool, ergonomic and gaming mouse. It also works wireless. It costs 125€.

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate stealth 2013

Cool mechanical keyboard with backlit keys. It costs 140€.

Headset: Razer Tiamat Elite 7.1

It is a comfortable, 7.1 surround headset. Costs 170€.

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 24’’ & NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision2 KIT

Monitor has 144Hz rapid refresh rate and 1ms (GTG) response time, Full HD 1920x1080, 80,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio and supports NVIDIA 3D. That's why I will also buy 3D glasses kit. Both things together cost 410€.
I will maybe add additional one or two more of this monitors in the future.

So this is it, feel free to post any comments, advises or critics. Also, please help me with building the best cooling for it.

Cheers,

Jakob
22 REPLIES 22

proudpiper
Level 7
Wow this sounds like an exciting rig. Can't wait to see it in action!

Zka17
Level 16
LOL, I just read only until the CPU and mobo... at this moment the plan is very futuristic - the Maximus VI Extreme and the 4770k just been released...

By the time that CPU and mobo will be available, you will have better RAMs, SSDs and graphics cards too...

Jakob_Zmrzlikar
Level 7
I can see your point zka17, but however, I would like to have 5770K rather than 4770K since 4770k isn't THAT MUCH better than 3770K. If new things will appear, I will probably look at their spec. if they will have major improvements, I will take them, if not, I will stick to the old ones.

I would also be happy if someone would help me build professional cooling for this PC. Since I will use Cosmos II case, have in mind that I have place for one 3x120 mm radiator on top and one 140 mm radiator at the back. Please try to provide me the best pumps, radiators, reservoirs and everything other. I want all of my components to be the best available.

Cheers,

Jakob

Zka17
Level 16
LOL, the I don't think the 4770k is so much better than the 3770k... if you want to OC, both of them are running very hot... - the 4770k is even more hot than the 3770k...

Also, if you want an OC station, have you considered a test bench for it?

Jakob_Zmrzlikar
Level 7
As I have said, I want to overclock as much as possible, but still, I want to have a stable system. I know I could achieve 7 GHz with liquid helium cooling, but I am interested only in a rig that will be able to run 24/7 without any troubles. That's why I am so concerned about what cooling should I get. I want the best cooling available, but it must be able to run all the time. I do not want the test branch since I will try to have a stable overclock inside my case.

Cheers,

Jakob

Jakob Zmrzlikar wrote:
As I have said, I want to overclock as much as possible, but still, I want to have a stable system. I know I could achieve 7 GHz with liquid helium cooling, but I am interested only in a rig that will be able to run 24/7 without any troubles. That's why I am so concerned about what cooling should I get. I want the best cooling available, but it must be able to run all the time. I do not want the test branch since I will try to have a stable overclock inside my case.

Cheers,

Jakob

Ah, OK... I just took word by word the "OC station"... 🙂

Well, then your choice is between air- or water-cooling... although that phase change unit may be good idea for hot CPUs... - but then you need to isolate your mobo to prevent condensation...

As about which is the best cooler? There are good air-coolers which are almost as good as the closed loop water coolers... but the best coolers always are the custom made liquid loops, if they are made correctly...

When thinking about cooling, you do have to decide in time which is more important - noise or cooling efficiency? For a 24/7 rig I would choose low noise and the best cooling you can get with low noise... That's meaning that you need to think in low fin density radiators (not higher than 10 fpi) and very silent, but enough airflow fans...

graphic
Level 11

Jakob_Zmrzlikar
Level 7
Can you maybe suggest some? I am relatively new to this and I don't know much about it. I know how custom liquid loop works, but I don't know which parts are the best. Have in mind that I am using CM Cosmos 2. Here is a link for it:

http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/full-tower/cosmos-2.html

Have in mind that I will have one 3x120 mm radiator mounted on the top (this radiator will probably be used to cool liquid from the processor), and one 1x140 mm radiator at the back of the case (this radiator will probably be used to cool my graphics card, especially if I will add more in the future).

I will only use 5 mid HDD bays, so I could remove bottom 8 and put an extra 2x120 mm radiator there if it would be necessary.

Also, is there any possibility to have a custom liquid cooling loop cooling my CPU and at the same time, also have an air cooler mounted on the CPU to cool it at the same time as the loop? I know this sounds strange but maybe it is possible that liquid and air would cool the CPU at the same time?

Please give me some advice on this.

- Jakob

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
You want a powerful OC station, yet you're only using mainstream parts? i'd suggest going with a RIVE and 3930K or a 3960K and grabbing an IB-E when they come out a bit later this year....or is that too extreme for you? 😛 :cool: