cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First PC build, i7 4770K overclock.

poney1991
Level 7
Hello I build my first PC and I wonder if I am doing anything wrong. I use AI suit III to overclock and AIDA64 to test stability.
At idle my processor run between 32-36 degrees when playing games like battlefield 3 it goes up to 58-62 degrees.

I use a corsair H110 watercooling but when I see benchmarks on the internet they keep the CPU cooler is there something wrong with my H110?

So I tried to start overclocking with AI suite III and putted the overclock on 4.6GHZ, when I run AIDA64 within secondes my CPU hits 100 degree and starts trotheling back. So after that I tried 4.4GHZ my CPU hits now 93 degree with AIDA64 and does not throttle back anymore.

So I put my OC on 4.2 GHZ now I get 33-38 Idle, 60-68 when gaming and with AIDA64 I get 83 degree max.

When I put my CPU on stock speed it hits 73 degree with AIDA64 it seems quite high for me.

When I do intel extreme utulity stress test my CPU only hits 73 degree OCed at 4.2 GHZ I heard that AIDA64 pushes the CPU way harder then needed is that truth, so what should I use as reference to have a safe OC.

I use inter utility extreme to make a benchmark, so intel compared my CPU performance compared to other people with the same CPU and settings. And it told me that my CPU was excellent and that it was better scoring then average people.

Why can I only OC to 4.2 GHZ then?? If I go higher temps are to high, I noticed that at 4.6 GHZ it places the CPU at 1.3v isn't that a bit high is that the reason of the high temps maybe that AI suite III puts to much voltage? Or is that normal.

When I installed my H110 I placed my heatsink connector into CPU_fan I placed one of the fans in CPU_OPT and the last fan in CPU_FAN2, when I go in fan expert to it let me set all the fans but not the CPU_OPT I can't get access to the CPU_OPT settings.

I noticed that it says that CPU_fan runs at 1400RPM but there is no fan??? It is simply my heatsink of the H110. And the two other fans CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN 2 only run at 700 RPM. So when I game I need to put them always on MAX. What I find strange is when I put them on max it only maxes my CPU 3-4 degree cooler.

So my follow questions.

Is my Corsair H110 not working correctly, Or are these temps totally normal in a Corsair 650D case?
Is my CPU maybe a bad overclocker, but why tells intel me then it better then average?
Or is it maybe my fans that are bad stetted, but I put them on max anyways when using AIDA64.

I

My specs:
i7 4770k 3.5GHZ
Corsair Dominator platinum ram 1866GHZ 16GB
Corsair obsidian 650D
Asus ROG maximus VI HERO
Corsair H110
HX 850 watt
GTX 780 ACX SC
27 REPLIES 27

kkn
Level 14
the best way to OC is to do it in the bios.
take a look at this page -> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&country...

poney1991
Level 7
Do you think the fact I place lower voltage manually, it will get lower temps then A suite III ?? I trusted AI because I tough it's 100 percent safe.

What max voltage would you suggest me 1.3v, I saw in a review that you should put CPU core voltage on manually then stress-test and then put on adaptive mode. But they also said that adaptive mode sometimes goes over the max voltage you stetted isn't that dangerous?

fbm211
Level 7
Your CPU fan speed is your pump speed I believe. AI SUITE is adding to much voltage.
As kkn states its much better to OC via BIOS.
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

kkn
Level 14
ai suite is not 100% stable when it comes to OC.
for OC its trial and error.
if you BSOD's you have to start over again.
just be shure to use ONE monitor program, or else you may getting unacurate readings ( if you run other programs then ai suite )

for gaming a OC at around 4.4 is the sweet spot.
multiplyer at 44
try a voltage at around 1.34v ( for a start )
set memory profile on XMP
^^ do that inside bios, if it boots up fine, start to lover voltage lill by lill until you get a bsod and then raise the voltage by 1-2 notches.

poney1991
Level 7
When I go into the BIOS when I go the the voltage part I can choice between manual auto adaptive and offset. When I select manual I see CPU voltage override. Is that where I change my voltage? Because it looks different in my BIOS then on the screenshots of the tutorial.

On the tutorial it simply shows CPU voltage. On my BIOS I see CPU voltage but I cannot change it and under it CPU voltage override.

poney1991
Level 7
And by the way what about the temps are they ok ??

Zka17
Level 16
AIDA64 and AiSuite are both polling the same sensors... you can have misreadings as a result... or even other conflicts....

majorwoody
Level 7
I agree with kkn OC in the bios

Also if the OC is stable can I just switch AI overclocker to XMP profil for my ram Corsair 1866MHZ? Or do I need to OC them aswell manually, what I mean if I switch it it won't delete my CPU OC or make it dangerous for my CPU?