cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

technical help please

ted_west
Level 7
Hi all, I'm very new to all this and I am looking forward to when I finish building my first pc , but I've now got to the stage where I'm pulling my hair out, so I'm hoping someone can help. I've taken it into a pc shop and he tells me that its working fine, but I get it home it works ok for maybe an hour then the problems start again. The problem is, when its up and going, it works fine, but when I put it in to sleep it is hit or miss whether it will work. Sometimes the mouse curser will move but I can't click on anything. I have loved building this and its cost me a second mortgage lol but its driving me insane now. So can any of you guys let me know if you have a pc shop between Kent and London so I can bring it to you, as a paying customer of course lol
Here are my specs:

caselabs st10 case
3970x processor
rampage iv extreme
32g dominator platinum 1866
asus GeForce gtx660ti
ax860i
h100i

many thanks in advance
75 REPLIES 75

kkn
Level 14
well the ppl here is like you, we do this willingly and try and help others as good as we can.
do you want it to go in to "sleep" or can you let it be on all the time?

HiVizMan
Level 40
The immediate answer that screams out at me is that your Ram is not 100% stable. Ram plays such a huge part of the sleep process and how successful the wake part of that process will be.

If you run the memtest86+ utility, you can find a download link in the guide in my sig, at your current ram settings do you pass two cycles without any error?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

hi kkn
I'm always on and off the pc so I like the sleep mode it just makes it easy for me

HIVIzMan
I ran the memtest86+ utility it is now on test #4 and has been running for eight minutes with no errors. So I am not sure what to do next.

ted_west
Level 7
I forgot I also have 2 Samsung 840 pros in raid 0 if that makes any difference

HiVizMan
Level 40
Let the memtest finish two full cycles.

Test 4 is not even half way.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Let the memtest finish two full cycles.

Test 4 is not even half way.

With 32GB of memory, you perhaps looking for an overnight run with memtest86+... just leave it there at evening and check for errors in the morning...

hi ZKa17
It's done one pass with no errors, but I will let it run for the night . As I mentioned before, i'm very new to this and have very little knowledge of bios ram settings etc I purchased all the parts and got a pc shop to set it up, but after reading the forums for the last couple of weeks I started to think this system might be a bit too complex for him. When I mentioned things like trim ect he said he'd never heard of it so I don't know if it's even set up properly. It seems to work, but it just seems very unstable. I have run real bench and the stress test, and it said that the computer was stable, it just seems to go wrong sometimes when its turned on and 4 out of 5 times when using sleep .
Thanks for all your help

ted_west
Level 7
sorry told you im a novice lol I get it now it is still running anyway, it says pass 34% is 100% 1 cycle

HiVizMan
Level 40
Indeed.

And do not worry about being a novice, we are all ROG