Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It would seem odd to me for you to be able to over-write the BIOS password by simply flashing, even from Windows. If you have tested this method, then OK, I take back my statement, but otherwise I would be extremely cautious. I am thinking from the perspective of this being a major security hole if it is true. The BIOS password is there to protect the computer (mostly for corporations), and so a simple flashing being all that is necessary to erase it would seem odd (at least, without inserting the password first). Then again, it is possible to change the Windows password without Windows (awesome LINUX utility).
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

~¦ Noesis ¦~ Array Dreamonic PC Specs
    Dreamonic PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GX800VH-XS79K
    MotherboardASUS GX800VHK (Intel CM238/IDA154) w/Custom BIOS
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-7820HK @ 4.7Ghz (+150mV) FCBGA 1440
    Memory (part number)64GB (PC4-22400) @ 18-18-18-38-53 (76.D305G.D060B)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +225/+750 w/Custom VBIOS
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +225/+750 w/Custom VBIOS
    Sound CardVANTEC 7.1 External Audio Adapter
    MonitorASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 @ 100Hz w/G-SYNC (mDP-to-DP)
    Storage #13x Samsung 512GB NVMe SSD RAID0 (S316NY0HA00959)
    CPU CoolerASUS GX800VHK Water Cooling Dock
    CaseASUS GX800VHK Chassis
    Power SupplyASUS 2x 330W Power Adapter (AC 100~240V, 50/60Hz, 16.9A/19.5V)
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore Core
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha
    Headset ASUS STRIX 7.1 Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Whetstone
    Headset/Speakers Altec Lansing Octane 7 (VS4621) 2.1 Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 / Arch Linux w/KDE Plasma
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87U w/Merlin
    Accessory #1 Kensington 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub (K33978WW)

I don't post because of a possibility, I post to inform options; Caution to the wind.

I've already tested this out by simply dumping my BIOS without a password, and one with a password. In this order so you can leave your Administrator password installed and boot into Windows right after. Then I ran CMD and used FTK to flash my BIOS in Windows (one without password) and shutdown afterwards. Take out battery, hold power button down for several seconds then put everything back and I've cleared the Administrator password. Simple. Another option is you just compare the 2 BIOS dumps and edit accordingly to the one without the password installed, then flash it.

Updating your BIOS with a newer version works the same since it does not contain a password.

The computers used in most corporations don't have the rights to run even CMD with sufficient privileges, let alone changing anything outside of their user security policies. So it is not a "security hole" as you put it. Don't think putting a password on a Windows account or in the BIOS is going to prevent further access and control over that system, it's silly. They enforce security policies and permissions for accounts, which go hand-in-hand with these additional BIOS security measures, they are not stand-alone deterrents.
    Last edited by Dreamonic; 07-09-2013 at 04:37 AM.

ROG Member Array welemski PC Specs
    welemski PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G75VX
    MotherboardG20AJ
    Processori7-4790
    Graphics Card #1GTX970
    Sound CardG20AJ
    MonitorDELL P2311H
    CaseG20AJ
    Power SupplyG20AJ
    Mouse Steel Series Sensi
    Headset UE
    OS Windows 8.1

Thank you for all your response. I already contacted ASUS service center and they advised me to go there personally.

So yeah if I have time this weekend I might go there and bring my laptop for service.

Again thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2