cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: G750JX-DB71 Hard Drive Upgrade

Glencoe
Level 7
Hello, this is my first post in the ROG forums. I have a question about upgrading the 5400RPM 1TB hard drive in the G750JX-DB71. I know a bit about computers, but I haven't ever messed around with changing parts out of laptops. I'm certainly no expert.

I would like to replace it with this.

First of all, is this compatible? Everything I have read would suggest that it is.

I figure that I will install a new drive before I even set up the laptop, just so I don't have to transfer files. Is the installation as simple as popping out the old drive and inserting the new one? I have already watched a video on how to do it, but are there any steps required once turning the computer on? I assume that the 1TB drive doesn't have anything installed on it out of the box; everything is installed on the SSD?

Which leads me to my last question. Is the drive I've chosen a good choice? I plan on using externals with thunderbolt to store assets for all of my Adobe CS editing needs, so size isn't a terrible issue. I just want the secondary drive to store the typical junk (films, pictures, etc). I just want a fast and dependable secondary drive.

Sorry for the terrible mess of questions. Just want to make sure I cover all of my bases. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

jimwho16
Level 7
Yes, it's that simple. If you eplace it before setting up windows it will format and activate partitions. It will by default split the drive into two partitions. If you start and setup Windows 8 and then add drive you can choose partition size. The partitions will not show uder my computer until tou activate and format them in system properties. You will think its not istalled but look in device manager. I installed a WD 7200 RPM drive. I

Xbcxbc
Level 7
Yes, that drive is good. I bought that, too, as my secondary drive for my G750. The main (OS) drive is an SSD and the Seagate drive is my data drive. Overall, I'm happy about performance after the upgrade.

You may want to take a look at this thread regarding the OS installation (unless you plan on doing a full fresh install):

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34196-Silly-question-regarding-SSD-installation&country=&st...

Glencoe
Level 7
I'm confused what you mean about the OS installation. I'm leaving the SSD in, which as far as I know has the OS installed on it. Shouldn't I be able to just remove the 1TB hard drive and insert my new one? Are there any steps that need to be taken after that?

I guess my question is- does the OS come installed on the SSD or the HDD for the G750JX. It wouldn't make sense for it to come installed on the slower drive. I'm not looking forward to cloning and such, because quite frankly I don't really know how. =/

Yes no doubt then if your NB came with a SSD installed. To change out your data drive is simple, open the back cover and remove the HD and install your new drive. Close it back up boot to window, go to disk management create a partition for the new drive and format it NTFS. There shouldn't' be any issues. There should be a video on you tube. If not for your G750 check out the ones for the G75 there only slightly different for this purpose. Marshal did a upgrade thread for G75s LINK removing your hard drive/Ram cover is a simple 1 screw and remove the cover situation. You should be able to tell which is the SSD and HD. For this purpose the only difference between the G750 and G75 is the cover itself. Once you accomplish the actual transfer of hardware. The rest is no different than putting in a new hard drive in any computer.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Xbcxbc
Level 7
Sorry if I confused you - I havte the G750JW-DB71 - it came with a single 5400 RPM HDD. I couldn't wait for the JX and I had my own SSD anyway.

The Seagate HDD is pretty good so far. I'd hope in the JX the OS is installed on the SSD for loading speed. Data gets loaded pretty fast from the Seagate drive. If that's not how it's installed, I'd change it.

Tomislav
Level 11
bro, don't worry this is so easy you actually have to be a complete moron to screw it up. Just a word of advice: I've read above that you use Adobe CS- I would recommend that in Adobe apps that you use you set up your HDD (not the SSD) for your scratch disk. SSD have a limited time of write cycles so you can really make them last longer if you don't use them as scratch disks. Also do install your adobe apps on your SSD if you didn't already,the boot times will be awesome.
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD