cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS MAXIMUS VI GENE - Adaptive VCORE Question

blkcsmustang
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

Noob overclocker here. I'm trying to come up with a mild overclock for my 4770k.

I set the VCORE to AUTO in the BIOS, and when I check the setting in AISuite3, I see that the voltage is set to ADAPTIVE, and the maximum OC voltage is 1.20V. However when I begin Prime95, the voltages on the CPU's go up to 1.28V. Is this supposed to happen?
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes that is normal and all is as it should be.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Praz
Level 13
When using adaptive voltage don't stress test with utilities that use AVX instructions.

kkn
Level 14
Avx = ??????

kkn wrote:
Avx = ??????

AVX is an extension of the CPU SSE instruction set for speeding up floating point calculations. Haswell is programmed by Intel to increase VCORE when these instructions are used. Synthetic utilities such as Prime and LinX that use AVX cause a substantial increase of VCORE. Because of this it is best not to use these type of utilities for stability testing when CPU adaptive voltage is used. This really is not a bad thing though. These type of utilities have not gave an indication of true stability since Sandy Bridge.

Samurai_dk
Level 7
Ive got my cpu at 4.5 in adaptive, is a voltage of 1.275 safe for long sessions of gaming?

Samurai_dk wrote:
Ive got my cpu at 4.5 in adaptive, is a voltage of 1.275 safe for long sessions of gaming?

Still too soon to know what is or is not OK for these CPUs. But with good cooling I would not hesitate to use that voltage especially with the adaptive mode.

Samurai_dk
Level 7
after a while i got a crash running at 4.5 so i took it down to 4.4. no crashes for a few hours.

Samurai_dk wrote:
after a while i got a crash running at 4.5 so i took it down to 4.4. no crashes for a few hours.

What are you using for stability testing?

Praz wrote:
What are you using for stability testing?

I suppose thats one thing i have not looked into properly, Ive just been running long game sessions such as BF3 and Arma2. at 4.4 it has not had a single problem over hours of play. Do you have any recommendations? I suppose I should have adaptive vcore turned off if i start to run stress test programs.