cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX-TS72 Crash - Asus recommends no SSDs for this laptop

thelastmac
Level 7
I was running Win8 on a Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD. Before the problem occured I had trouble playing internet videos. Several times I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Flash, as well as Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome. Just before the problem occured I installed Chrome and the latest version of Flash. Videos still would not play so I disabled Windows firewall and disabled Malwarebytes and Total Defense. At that point Windows showed me an error message that said Windows was experiencing a problem and needed to shutdown. Windows immediately shutdown. After that, I got no response from the power button. When the power button was pressed the screen stayed black - no flickering, no booting. I tried removing the battery and holding down the power button for 30 seconds and reinstalling the battery. No change. TigerDirect, where I bought it 10 days ago, said to return it to Asus. So, it's in the mail now.

However, I did just receive an email response from Asus and they offered this general advice: "We don't suggest users to install a SSD in your laptop, it may cause system instability issue."

They have not seen my laptop yet, so they don't know for sure that my SSD was the problem. Their advice about SSDs seems to be a general recommendation for all owners of the G75VX.

Have any other VX owners experienced instability when they run Win8 from an SSD?

UPDATE 7/17/2013: just got the laptop back from Asus. They said one of the RAM cards died, so they replaced it and sent the laptop back to me. They installed Win8 on the HDD. I have not booted it yet. I need to reinstall my SSD which has my previous install of Win8 on it. So, when I boot it, there will be to drives in it, both with Win8 on them. I also have an external drive with a pre-cash system backup on it. Not sure how to preoceed now. I need Win8 only on the SSD. The HDD is only for storage.
28 REPLIES 28

Tomislav
Level 11
No, quite the opposite, I've been running that same SSD (but the 120 GB version) with no problems...That is strange though, there are vx models with ssd...so I don't see the point of their statement.
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Clerbois
Level 7
Their advice about SSDs seems to be... inappropriate...

Clerbois wrote:
Their advice about SSDs seems to be... inappropriate...

That's a nice, polite, politically-correct way to put it. I say their comment about SSD's is total BS...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Dreamonic
Level 12

Clintlgm
Level 14
I guess you could ask if SSD are not recommended why several models come with SSD standard from the factory???
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Sadler13
Level 9
I don't think Asus is liking the fact that they had made Vw and Vx versions so modifiable now and easy to do so....
G751JY-DH71|| G75VW || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB || |NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3GB || 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive (PCIEG2) || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz

Sadler13, as to your original problem which doesn't mean anything now since you have already RMA'd your unit. It sounds to me that your problem was with windows. I would have done a clean install and started over. you stated that the problem cropped up after loading Chrome and Flash. Its not likely that the problem was hardware. Good thing is Asus repair has the image to put window 8 on your SSD since many are sold that way. They will probably restore your notebook to factory original and send it back to you.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Sadler13, as to your original problem which doesn't mean anything now since you have already RMA'd your unit. It sounds to me that your problem was with windows. I would have done a clean install and started over. you stated that the problem cropped up after loading Chrome and Flash. Its not likely that the problem was hardware. Good thing is Asus repair has the image to put window 8 on your SSD since many are sold that way. They will probably restore your notebook to factory original and send it back to you.

It wasn't me that had the problem loll.
G751JY-DH71|| G75VW || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB || |NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3GB || 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive (PCIEG2) || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz

Sorry I was in shock that Asus Repair had told him SSD were not suitable for G75's I didn't notice your weren't the OP or just replied to the wrong post LOL
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro