cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stumbled upon advanced tunning for dolby home theatre

harusora
Level 7
Now even though I'm using a xonar u7, its still using dolby home theatre v4 jsut like the phoebus, which I feel is lacking in tunning. so upon some searching on google, I stumbled across this video on utube, which depicts a version of DHTV4 with much more options than the one found in phoebus or U7. Upon questioning the uploader, it is infact the professional edition of DHTV4.
The video link is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvib4YEI0o watch in 480p widescreen mode to see better.

anyway, it got my hopes up for some better tunning for DHTV4 since there are alot of features combined into just a single setting such as volume lvler in fact contains various features. After some more searching on the internet I think I have found an "unrefined ore".

the link is here : http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/attachments/lnv/Special_Interest_General/12516/1/Dolby%20Home%20Theater...

it has the information and download link for a different "version" of dolby home theatre under the name of Dolby Tunning and P{rofile creator. All credits goes to lenovo as this is infact intended for lenovo laptops. However, I follow the instruction set out by the pdf document and tried out this differnt edition of DHTV4. I'm actaully surprised that it worked "partly" as some features and tabs may still has bugs and cause crashes. But the main thing is the system tab under the DHTV4 panel.

Since I only recently found out about this, I'm still trying it out, like I said since it's intended for lenovo laptop, alot of the features still doesn't work. this got me to thinking, if lenovos dolby driver is able to be used on the xonar u7 and maybe phoebus, I'm sure ASUS shud be able to implement this with driver update, as I strongly feel that the current dolby software is lacking in options and tunning. I wud like some feedbacks from the community as to what u guys think of this different DHTV4 panel.

Now with all that aside, I'm just wondering if asus is going let us select the output channels for the source files, since alot of the programs rely on windows speaker option to select the output channels, and if I use headphone, its only shown as 2ch, which isn't enough information for the DHTV4 downmix. This is able to be resolve thru games that lets u select output channels, however, for programs or games that doesn't, it becomes annoyance, as DHTV4 will have to upmix the 2ch content before downmixing it again. On my old DX and U3, both of the sound card is able to select the output channels regardless of ur physical setup. So I'm just wondering if asus is going to come out with a driver, or has somebody came up with a solution.
4 REPLIES 4

KILLER_K
Level 10
I honestly wouldn't hold your breath for Asus to do anything. 2 drives over the course of a year is just plain bad at this point. Most in here are upset with Asus. Because after purchasing this so called high end gaming ROG tagged sound card. We all became beta testers for Asus. Just about 90% had to sell the sound card for a loss and some are just trying to hold out for something good to happen. It honestly isn't that hard to see why Asus has a F rating at the Better Business Bureau now.

Asus do the right thing and give everyone a full refund that bought this worthless garbage none supported sound card.

Official/Unofficial? Beta Tester For The Asus Pheobus ROG Xonar 2012 - 2013

KILLER_K wrote:
It honestly isn't that hard to see why Asus has a F rating at the Better Business Bureau now.

this sad but true.. let's post the link so everyone here in this ROG forum can see this ...
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/computers-wholesale-and-manufacturers/asus...

I wonder why ASUS wasting their time by officially answering enthusiast forums like tomshardware..
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1713811/official-asus-representative.html

they can't even answer here for their loyal ROG customer issues.. and wasting time somewhere else.. unfortunately they must have given tomshardware big since I couldn't criticize them and got a warning despite being a old tomshardware memeber.. shame on tomshardware too ..

AVtemp
Level 10
Asus renamed Dolby Headphones with Xear Headphones(claimed that it`s some unique technology) and leaved us without option to choose amount of input\output virtual channels.
Also we`ve got Dolby Home Theatre,that works only with 2 input channels,because it can`t tell game that we want to get 5.1 or 7.1 input.
Our DHT has lack of options,it`s simplified version(only 10-band EQ vs original 20-band EQ,simple profiles,etc.)

Original C-media CM8888/DMS/DHT chip supports up to 32-bit(!) sound resolution,but we`re limited to 24-bit only,and Xear works in 48KHz\16bit mode 😞

This chip is a beast!

It`s original specs:
Supports up to 14 outgoing channels and 12 ingoing channels.
The 14 outgoing channels are composed of 4 playback DMA’s, including a multi-channel DMA (32 bits, 8 channels, 192k), a S/PDIF & HDMI DMA (each 32 bits, 2 channels, 192k), and a RTC (real-time communication) DMA (32 bits, 2 channels, 192k) channels.
The 12 ingoing channels are spread out in 3 recording DMAs (up to 32 bits, 192k).
Digital mixer to mix all input data to output streams
Maximum 8 jack-detection pins (5 for output jacks and 3 for input jacks)
Four playback DMAs and three recording DMAs that support MS Vista/Win7 HD Audio controller requirements, and are WaveRT-port-friendly:
Playback DMA#A supports up to 8-ch audio output (2/4/6/8-ch configurable by SW driver control)
Playback DMA#B supports independent 2-ch audio output (e.g. front headphone out for RTC)
Playback DMA#C supports independent 2-ch audio output (e.g. back headphone out) or S/PDIF for HDMI output
Playback DMA#D supports independent 2-ch audio output (for S/PDIF output or other purposes)
Recording DMA#A supports up to 8-ch audio input (2/4/6/8-ch configurable by SW driver control)
Recording DMA#B supports independent 2-ch audio input (for RTC headsets)
Recording DMA#C supports independent 2-ch audio input (for S/PDIF input stream or other purposes)
Sampling rates: all DMA channels support 192K/176.4K/96K/88.2K/48K/44.1K PCM data
Resolution (Word-length): all DMA channels support 16/24/32-bit PCM data transfer modes

But it was poorly implemented in Phoebus.
In some cases this card is worse than previous soundcards.
And of course now everyone knows about terrible product support and Phoebus don`t has full Win 8 compatibility,etc.

Asus don't wants to answer an inconvenient questions,that's why they prefer TomsHardware over their own forum.

harusora
Level 7
well...I just tried xear surround, and I have to say, this crap:mad: is no where near the effectiveness or realism of dolby headphone/DHTV4 surround. I don't get why, asus would bother to add this instead of letting us choose the output channels, as long as the output channels can be set, then DHTV4 can be put to work in all programs. Part of the reason why I got this card is so I can get an upgrade to the former dolby technology plus all the other sound goodies, but after reading the forum for a while, it seems asus doesn't know where they are headed with update. They added xear surround and DTS Ultra PC II to the phoebus, yet they can not do something such as allowing us to set the output channels, things like these doesn't even require hardware, its all done by software to "fool" the programs into outputing the different channels of sound. Funny thing is;) The irony to these 3 features: DTS/dolby/xear is that they can't and are not even suppose be used at the same time:confused:, so y is asus adding these 2 inferior virtual surround options, when they could have gone the easy way and just modding the software to let us control the channel output:confused:. Infact this sort of feature doesn't even need to be specific to any soundcard, so long as it can change the windows speaker settings, since thats what most program look for.