cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Motherboard Q-Code 40?

JBeattie
Level 7
Hi,

Just wondering why my build is showing Q-Code 40? It's been like this for maybe 20 minutes or so. I'm running the following build with Windows 8 64-Bit

ASUS Maximus VI Hero
i7-4770k
GTX 690
16GB 2133mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro -- Set to 2133mhz in BIOS.

I have a feeling this RAM isn't compatible? Or is there something I have to set in BIOS to make it play nice? Any help is awesome! Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

Raja
Level 13
Reset CMOS and see if it will POST. DId you load the XMP for the memory or configure it some other way?

JBeattie
Level 7
Hi Raja,

It posts and loads and runs just fine -- It's just showing that code whenever the system is on.

And I didn't load the XMP -- not sure how to? I just specifically went to speed and changed it from 1333mhz that was default and moved it to 2133mhz like it should be.

Any thoughts?

JBeattie wrote:
Hi Raja,

It posts and loads and runs just fine -- It's just showing that code whenever the system is on.

And I didn't load the XMP -- not sure how to? I just specifically went to speed and changed it from 1333mhz that was default and moved it to 2133mhz like it should be.

Any thoughts?

That may work, but XMP would be better advised. Read the UEFI guide in this forum for info on where the XMP setting is in UEFI.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Did you system come out of sleep or hybrid sleep recently? 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Howdy HiViz -- I turned off Hybrid sleep when I installed it. And also sleep altogether.

I thought being a memory Q-Code error that perhaps I should re-seat the RAM and realized I never put them in the right way. They were previously in B1 and B2 -- Not in A2 / B2 like recommended. They are now seated in A2 / B2 and the error code is gone and I have the okay -- AO code.

Surely it wasn't something as simple / little as this?

Either way, so far so good ... it seems :-S

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah that makes sense. I have seen the same q-code if a system has come back from sleep. Also code 30 for sleep recovery successful.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

JBeattie
Level 7
Thanks! Good to know -- Just switched it to XMP profile and all the voltages were correct / timing was good in BIOS -- Just booted and is still okay. I haven't had the 40 come back after re-seating them in the correct DIMM's. Weird. But I'm happy.

Also, if I decided to add another 2 sticks of 8GB - Making it 32GB's all up - Would this work? I saw on the RAM spec's that it wasn't quad-channel acceptable. So would I be better advised to buy different RAM and buy 4 sticks all in one hit so it was all Quad Channel? Or what?

Not sure on this stuff as I've never really cared about RAM before and never had issues lol.

Chino
Level 15
Pairing up two RAM kits, even if they're identical, are not 100% guaranteed to work. Thus it is recommedable that when shopping for RAM, you should buy one big kit instead of two smaller kits.

Shamino
40 means resuming from S4 suspend which is the default 'shutdown' option in win 8
30 is s3 resume