cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$4k+ gaming rig. Want input!

MadaoROG
Level 7
Okay. This is going to be a Haswell rig.

For reference, I'm coming from an i7-920 (no oc), 2 gtx 460s in sli, corsair h50 on the cpu.

PC Components

CPU: I7-4770K
GPU: EVGA GTX 780
PSU: Corsair AX 860i
CASE: Corsair 900D
MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Formula
HDD: Western Digital 2TB Black 64mb 7,200 rpm
SSD: Samsung 840 pro 256 GB
RAD FANS: Corsair SP120 PWM Performance Edition x 8
CASE FANS: 9x... of not sure yet (gimme input!)

LIQUID COOLING

CPU BLOCK: EK Supremacy Nickel
GPU BLOCK: EK TITAN SE Nickel
GPU BACK: EK TITAN SE Backplate
BRIDGE: EK Bridge Plexi
PUMP: EK D5 Vario
RAD: EK CoolStream RAD XTX 480mm
TUBING: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LTR 1/2"ID 3/4"OD
COOLANT: PrimoChill Ice Intensified Clear w/ Blue and Red dye bombs to make purple
FITTINGS: Various EK PSC fittings and adapters

RESERVOIR: A piece that I am VERY proud of. I had Steve over at FrozenQ customize this one for me, and he was so pleased that he used shots of it on his website. The T-Virus style res features a helix in individually color customizable rods. In the center is a separate chamber for a cathode. Mine is set up with a UV cathode and fluorescent blue/green rods that will light up in a lightly colored purple coolant to mimic a virus.
http://frozenqshop.com/icecaps-for-v-series-reservoirs.html?SID=tauna40bgu63667p16vsgf05t2

EXTRAS

Corsair white individually sleeved cables
Fan hubs for the case fans
White LED flex cables
ARCTIC MX-4 TIM
Corsair SP2500 speakers
Lamptron FC8 Fan Controller

Keep in mind that this will be an overclocked rig. While I don't need this to be a silent as death pc, I would prefer for it to not make a lot of noise.

If you guys have any recommendations for why I should substitute any of these components for another, or add something entirely I would greatly appreciate it.

One thing you might have noticed is that this PC is going to be aesthetically driven. I need help coming up with a good routing scheme for the loop, and the adapters i would need to accommodate the loop. If you have any other ideas that might make it look better I would love to hear your input. I'm lighting it up white to really accent all of the components.

My idea for the loop is the reservoir being parallel to the right of the MOBO, feeding into the pump directly beneath it, then to the rad in push pull mounted on the bottom of the 900D, up to the GPU, then to the CPU, then the MOSFET cooling on the Formula, then back to the res.

Thanks again guys. I might have left some thoughts and such out, but I won't be building this until the end of August... so we have time. I am buying little things here and there when I see a sale though. The only 2 things I have purchased so far are the White cables for the PSU and the reservoir.

MADAO
CPUIntel Core i7-4770k
GPUEVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX Cooler
MotherboardASUS MAXIMUS VI Formula
CaseCorsair 900D
HDDSeagate Barracuda 2TB
PSUCorsair AXi AX1200i
SSDSamsung 840 500GB
FansCorsair SP120 High Performance Edition Corsair AF120 Performance Edition
16 REPLIES 16

MadaoROG
Level 7
Now that I think of it, maybe having the rad up top in push pull would be better. I'm not sure how I could hook up all 8 fans to the fan controller otherwise. Lemme know what you guys think.
CPUIntel Core i7-4770k
CaseCorsair 900D
HDDSeagate Barracuda 2TB
PSUCorsair AXi AX1200i
SSDSamsung 840 500GB

HiVizMan
Level 40
Component wise it looks good. The WC side of things I will leave for others to comment on.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kkn
Level 14
look at the evga's hydro copper version and compare it to the setup you have, and look at the price diffrence.
and i would look at a more powerfull PSU since each card pulls around 250W.
i would look at a PSU around the 1000W range to be on the safe side.
evga's site says -> (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)
An available 6-pin PCI-E power connector and an available 8 pin PCI-E power connector
Total Power Draw : 250 Watts <- this is per card.

lamptron have a fan controller that have a pump controller on it ( i dont have it i just read what it says ) .
and you can connect temp probes on it, and a inline temp probe if wanted on the loop.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19760/bus-348/Lamptron_CW611_36W_-_6_Channel_Aluminum_Liquid_Cooli...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13163/ex-tub-891/Phobya_G14_Inline_Temp_Sensor_Coupler_-_2-Pin_711...

and for the rad cooling i would add a second radiator to the loop to cool it since you have 3 components on it.
you can say you will have 2x 120 fan slot's on each OC'd component.

to controll the fans in push/pull use Y splitters to controll 2 and 2 fans or connect all the fans on 1 radiator to 1 channel ( but do remember to keep under max Amp/Watts on each channel )
and whit a fancontroller like the one i posted you can have the option to controll the fans when it comes to temp and cooling.

I would much prefer an ek titan block over the hydro copper. Is the hydro copper supposed to be better for cooling?

I'm not going to sli this rig. It's only going to have one gtx 780.

Is there something wrong with the lamptron fc8 that I posted? I don't need the fan controller to have speed control for the pump. The pump itself has speed control.
CPUIntel Core i7-4770k
CaseCorsair 900D
HDDSeagate Barracuda 2TB
PSUCorsair AXi AX1200i
SSDSamsung 840 500GB

MadaoROG wrote:
I would much prefer an ek titan block over the hydro copper. Is the hydro copper supposed to be better for cooling?

I'm not going to sli this rig. It's only going to have one gtx 780.

Is there something wrong with the lamptron fc8 that I posted? I don't need the fan controller to have speed control for the pump. The pump itself has speed control.

Hydro Copper has warranty and I think is also has warranty if you change the block on the Hyrdo Copper. Regular Cards have their warranty voided, but its all on you. Make sure you test the reference card first, do all the testing with the stock cooler then once you know it is 100% working then put on a water block.
Cruel Angel
------------------------------

CPU: i7 4770k 4.7Ghz 1.425v
MB: Maximus VI Formula
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2400Mhz OC) 16GB
GPU: Reference GTX 560Ti ( GTX 880 Coming Soon!)
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
Mouse: MLG Sensei
KeyBoard: Corsair K70 RED
Monitor: BENQ XL2420T

Custom Water Cooling

Zeruel wrote:
Hydro Copper has warranty and I think is also has warranty if you change the block on the Hyrdo Copper. Regular Cards have their warranty voided, but its all on you. Make sure you test the reference card first, do all the testing with the stock cooler then once you know it is 100% working then put on a water block.

Gotcha. I'll make sure to test every component to make sure the rig is stable at stock settings and that all components are working as intended before i implement the loop and start overclocking.
CPUIntel Core i7-4770k
CaseCorsair 900D
HDDSeagate Barracuda 2TB
PSUCorsair AXi AX1200i
SSDSamsung 840 500GB

kkn
Level 14
if its bether then the other im not shure, i was aiming at price, and mabye just in case damage when you pull the stock cooler off.

the controller i posted, you have the option to monitor speed of the fans, whit a inline temp sensor i posted you have the option to look at the temp on the water and monitor that.
and you have the option to Customizable the Channels ( says so on the specs )

kkn wrote:
if its bether then the other im not shure, i was aiming at price, and mabye just in case damage when you pull the stock cooler off.

the controller i posted, you have the option to monitor speed of the fans, whit a inline temp sensor i posted you have the option to look at the temp on the water and monitor that.
and you have the option to Customizable the Channels ( says so on the specs )

The main reason I chose the Lamptron FC8 is because it has 8 fan controllers for the 8 fans I'll have on the rad.

Also, do you think one 480 in push pull is not enough for the gpu/cpu/mofset?
The only reason i went with the 480 is because I figured a 480mm long and 60mm thick radiator would be sufficient.
If it's not then i might get 2 360s or something.
CPUIntel Core i7-4770k
CaseCorsair 900D
HDDSeagate Barracuda 2TB
PSUCorsair AXi AX1200i
SSDSamsung 840 500GB

MadaoROG wrote:
The main reason I chose the Lamptron FC8 is because it has 8 fan controllers for the 8 fans I'll have on the rad.

Also, do you think one 480 in push pull is not enough for the gpu/cpu/mofset?
The only reason i went with the 480 is because I figured a 480mm long and 60mm thick radiator would be sufficient.
If it's not then i might get 2 360s or something.

i see no reason to add 1 fan on each outlet on the controller when you can control all 8 fans on 1 outlet?
to get the best airflow on push/pull both fans have to run at the same speed or else it will not work properly.
i have push/pull on mine and i controll 2 and 2 fans on each channel, but thats becouse i have only the CPU and NB under water now.
the 360 fans is on low rpm 24/7 and the ones on the 240 starts at a certain temp to cool, and those are controller by the pump ( the ones on 240 rad ).
the ones on the 360 i have a fan controller to controll, i can see the speed on each 120 slot ( 2 fans ) and i can controll the voltage on em, if i want to i can even put a termal probe on it to controll it even more so it starts at a certain temp on the water to help cool it even bether.
and other of the watercooling guys here can back me up on this

like i stated erlyer, 2x 120 ( or 140 ) slot per OC part.
in the bottom you can fit 1 420 and 1 240 rad, on top you can fit 1 420.
and if you realy need more you can add a 240 or a 360 in front

heres a LONG vid about the 900D by tinytomlogan if its enny interest.-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b3EwprglnU