cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX SSD and HDD query

Downtownbrown
Level 7
Hi,

I just received my G750JX everything seems great, just have a query re the hard drive partitions. It comes with a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I'm not to I.T. savvy, so i apologise if my question is a bit stupid.

It's arrived partitioned as follows:
C: (OS) 95.3 GB
😧 (Data1) 465 GB
E: (Data2) 465 GB
F: (DATA) 121 GB

I assume that C: and F: are the (partitioned) SSD, while 😧 and E: are the (partitioned) HDD.

My query is; can I use Partition Wizard to undo the partitions with no ill effect, ie, or did it come set up this way for a particular reason?

Thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

rewben
Level 13
hi @Downtownbrown, i think it's better for you to create backup using this method first, before you make changes to the partitions (which is very likely to change something in the partition tables and eventually cause something to NOT work properly).

Tomislav
Level 11
@Downtownbrown welcome to the forum. You can see in windows 8 which disk is hdd and which is sdd, so no confusion there. Well I don't see why they choose to set the system in that way ( I personally wouldn't do it) but honestly there is nothing wrong with this set up. You can use one SSD partition just for OS, and one for software and maybe a few games, the rest you can use for media and stuff. But if you would like to customize it more to your liking then be sure to listen to rewben. He knows his 0's and 1's if you know what I mean:).
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Downtownbrown
Level 7
Thanks very much for the advice Rewben and Tomislav.

I think after what you've said, i'll probably just un-partition the 1TB hdd into one drive (i have about a TB of work data that needs to be on one drive), and leave the SSD as it is.

Cheers.

That's a good setting. The reason for the double-partition is to separate your files from Windows, so that if you need to reinstall Windows, you can do so without messing up so many files. Thus, having the SSD in two partitions is fine, but there isn't much point for an all-data HDD.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Thanks Zygomorphic, that makes sense. I agree, I could see why they'd do it for the ssd but couldn't see a reason for them doing it for the hdd.
I ended up deleting the partition of the hdd and happy now the setup works for me.

Thanks Zygomorphic, that makes sense. I agree, I could see why they'd do it for the ssd but couldn't see a reason for them doing it for the hdd.
I ended up deleting the partition of the hdd and happy now the setup works for me.

Downtownbrown wrote:

I just got mine a couple of day ago and was wondering the same thing about the partitions. I't a minor pain changing every install to point to the separated SDD partition. I also blew out the HDD partition and made a 1TB one, didn't make sense to have it split out that way.

True. It is helpful also if you just store your files there. Makes it easier to back certain things up without taking all the Windows stuff too. 🙂 Also, I use it since I access NTFS partitions from LINUX, and it prevents any potential issues (which I haven't had) from damaging the Windows files. Best partitioning scheme is the simplest one that solves your problems. Anything more complicated is just adding work and potential issues.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23