cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

66M High Temps/Fan control?

Sandman007
Level 7
Ok I want to start by saying that this is my first gaming Laptop. I do not call myself a noob however. I am decently knowledgeable about computers. Anyways I believe I may have unusual temps on my GPU (660M). Here is an example. MY GPU Temps when turned off is 40 C. That is normal I am sure. When playing skyrim with Vsync turn off I can get VERY high fps. My GPU gets around 80-85C. I Now I am not going to play skyrim with vsync off anymore anyways due to serious bugs (not GPU or Heat related). However with Vsync on I get about 75 FPS but my GPU still gets to 70-75C. I do not believe that is normal. And for people familar with sskyrim the only graphic related mods I have installed is below. I have about 40 mods but only a few are worth mentioning. Also my GPU is getting 99% utilized in skyrim which I am sure is what you what. If I remember correctly my CPU is only getting 50% utilization per thread (not CPU total Avg value). Any suggestions/ comments would be awesome. I am just trying to get a general Idea. System Specs are in Signature. Thanks Guys! 🙂

Edit and I was alsod wondering if this computer has a Fan Control chip. I would like to adjust Fan speeds but I have not been able to using MSI Afterburner.

Skyrim graphic Mods

2K Texture LITE Mod (Dungeon/Landscape/Towns/Riften/Misc)
Immersive Enviroment
Enhanced Night
More Rain
Sexy Whiterun
Realistic Lighting
Superior Rocks Light Grey HD
W.A.T.E.R
Asus G46vw
Intel® Core™ i5 3210M Processor
GTX 660m 2GB DDR5
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM,
750 GB 5400 HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate db Ubuntu 13.04
5 REPLIES 5

Dreamonic
Level 12
The 660M average idle and load temperatures among the G-series are anywhere from 35-43°C IDLE to 65-88°C LOAD. You fall within the these margins. Also remember that your G46 has a lot of heat to exhaust out a smaller form factor, so you will not see the same load temps that a G75 with a 660m gets.

There are many things to factor in idle and load temps, such as: room temperature, dirty fan blades/sink fins and exhaust vent blockage from the devilish dust bunnies, inadequate room behind vents, thermal paste efficiency degrading, etc.

I would imagine that you are running your 660M at stock clocks?

This is also completely normal with V-Sync enabled and disabled regarding fps and temperature changes, and 99% GPU utilization is a good sign of your card working properly, so yes this is what you want to see.

The fan speeds are automatically controlled via thermal points which are ran by the EC_SC, and cannot be controlled with a simple interface utility such as MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X, Speedfan, etc.

However, if you'd like to know the speeds the fans are running at, download HWiNFO and run it in "sensors-only" mode. The speeds vary from IDLE temps to fan speeds 1997-2000 RPM to LOAD temps to fan speeds 3600-4000 RPM.

Enjoy!

Sandman007
Level 7
Thank you for responding back. I'd like to mention that this is a brand new laptop. No cleaning should be neccessary. Its about 4 months old if I had to guess. That is why I am a little concerned about my temps.

Now I have been using HWinfo to watch CPU threads, GPU load and FPS while playing skyrim but did not know it showed fan speeds that is very handy. I have been overclocking a little. HOWEVER, the temps I posted in OP were stock settings. I have not overclocked past +135 simply due to the locked vBIOS.

I want to unlock the vBIOS. Can I use this vBIOS? (Link Below) I am aware it is meant for Lenova Card (660M) but I was wondering if I could flash it on my G46vw. If not can you point me to a custom vBIOS? Keep in mind I a relatively new to this type of thing with this being my first gaming PC though I have been flashing phones/gaming consoles and overclocking phones for a few years so I learn quickly 🙂

vBIOS Link:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/677169-nvidia-mobile-kepler-6xx-maste...
Asus G46vw
GTX 660m 2GB DDR5
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM,
750 GB 5400 HDD

Sandman007
Level 7
I do not seethe option to show fan speeds in configure/OSD?
Asus G46vw
GTX 660m 2GB DDR5
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM,
750 GB 5400 HDD

Dreamonic
Level 12
Your temps are still normal, perhaps a touch on the warm side but nothing to worry about yet. Just keep an eye on them during your gaming sessions. When the temps begin creeping into the almost 90's at an almost regular basis, you'll have to address it by doing a repaste.

If you'd like to get an unlocked vBIOS for your G46 as well as unlocked BIOS options, please PM me.

When you launch HWiNFO, there will be a box to check that shows "sensors-only," before actual running of the application. Do you see this on yours? If you do not see the fan speeds next to ASUS G75 EC in the list, then close HWiNFO and launch it again, this time select 'configure' and go to the Safety tab, then look for "EC Support" and check and OK it. Now run with sensors-only checked again and this time you should see the fan speeds down in the list next to ASUS G75 EC.

I have always used the sensors only function. I still did not see the Fan options. I may just have missed it. I have my laptop off for the night but will check again first thing in the morning. Oh and pm sent
Asus G46vw
GTX 660m 2GB DDR5
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM,
750 GB 5400 HDD