cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Exaust Fans and heat sinks?

Clintlgm
Level 14
Haven't seen this come up yet. My G75 needs cleaning at least every month. From the preview video it appears that the CPU and GPU fans are no longer accessible? So you guy's have had your G750 for awhile now how do you get the dust out of your system????
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro
7 REPLIES 7

dannyritz
Level 7
I'm thinking about buying a G750JW. I live in a dusty place and being able to clean out the fans regularly is important. How easy is it to get to them? I can't imagine why they would make them hard to reach. I remember reading somewhere that there were detachable filters on the fans.

kingkaan
Level 7
Hello Clintlgm,

I don't bother opening and cleaning it unless its totally necessary and it won't stop overheating. but usually i just buy compressed air from staples, bestbuy or walmart. where ever you would like to it cleans everything trust me. I do this regularly like every month just to make sure dust doesn't build up inside of my laptop.

Flea0
Level 10
like kingkaan does, I also have a can of compressed air that I use every few weeks to get the dust out and prevent it from building into a mass that gets stuck behind the heatsink. Just make sure you use short bursts and do not overspin the fans with the air jet, since making them go faster than they are designed for might damage the bearings and make them noisy.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Sorry for sounding like a noob, this would be my first gaming laptop. How do you get to the fans? I searched online and it seems the only way to get to them is via extensive dismantling. Can you use the compressed air and blow straight into the exhaust vents? How do you stop the fans from spinning if you can't reach them?

Flea0
Level 10
yes, you blow straight into the exhaust vents. some people use paper clips or toothpics through the intakes to stop the fans but the G750's are pretty well hidden so you just need to be careful with the strength of the compressed air. short bursts will dislodge the dust but won't make the fans spin too much.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

villiansv
Level 11
The fans/sinks are accessible, however it's quite hard and will void your warranty if done (well, if done in a noticeable way 🙂 ). Probably a good idea to just blow compressed air through the fans against the air flow regularly to slow down buildup.

If you're into dismantling the laptop fully to re-paste or to fully clean the fans, head over to http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html for lots of pics of the internals.

dannyritz
Level 7
Thanks guys!